• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

TOO Thick Output?

Hi everyone,

I'm new to all this and just got out of the hospital a week ago from my ileostomy surgery (Ulcerative colitis). I've noticed that my stool seems almost TOO thick - like toothpaste instead of applesauce, and I'm wondering if I should do something to thin it down?

I'm eating mostly gluten-free breads, butternut squash / pureed soups, yogurt, some Rice Chex, a Boost drink, Macaroni and cheese, and tons of water, ha ha. I'm not sure what kinds of foods to introduce to help things a bit - I don't do too well with meat... but maybe more whole grains? Baby food?

Has anyone else had this problem? It's got me a little worried... :confused2:

I've always been told toothpaste consistency is perfect, in fact toothpaste seems to be stoma nurses' favourite thing to represent healthy stoma output.

Please don't try whole grains this soon after surgery, you'll risk a blockage.

Were you given any information on diet at the hospital? Did anyone (doctor, stoma nurse) tell you your output was too thick?

There are foods that can help with output that's too thick, but I'm not sure that you need them.

If possible, I'd contact your stoma nurse and ask for some advice on diet. There are lots of guides online also. The first six to eight weeks after ileostomy surgery, you should prioritise avoiding foods that can cause blockages. When I have a minute I'll see if I can find a good online guide to send you a link to.

This isn't a medical site, but the advice seems to match that I've seen given in professional medical guides pretty well, and is much more thorough than a lot of them:

http://kelliesfoodtoglow.com/nutrition-and-cancer/eating-well-with-a-colostomy-or-ileostomy/

Obviously some sections will be more relevant to you than others, as it covers colostomies as well. It covers the more restrictive diet that's advised in the weeks after surgery, and there are sections on constipation and diarrhoea - i.e. output that's too thick or too watery, but if you can, have your stoma nurse check the consistency of your output to see if it does need to be thinner.

Btw how often are you emptying your bag? Overly watery output often goes along with high volume output, so if it is too watery, you're more likely to be emptying excessively. But right after surgery, you'll probably find it's all still settling down, so expect some fluctuations. The main things at this point are to avoid foods that may cause blockages, watch for a high volume of output (often watery as well) that could lead to dehydration, and make sure you're getting good nutrition to help you heal.

One more thing: don't overdo it on the water. Drinking too much fluid with an ileostomy can lead to problems.

I really, really appreciate your responses. You're probably right about my output - I'm just so worried about something going wrong at this point and I'm so isolated with my health problems ect.(a feeling I imagine everyone here can relate to). My output seems to alternate between more liquid and more 'solid-like'. Last night after dinner it was just really thick and I guess it kind of scared me. I'm emptying my bag... 6 - 7 times a day/night? (I think.)

My dietician nurse is visiting for the first time tomorrow, so hopefully I can just try and relax until then.

I've had my stoma for just over two months, and my output varies too, my nurses were more concerned over very watery output because of dehydration, I don't remember them even mentioning too thick.

Unless you are in pain or having major issues with your thicker output, this is a good thing. I've had mine for 3 years and generally have thin watery output. It sounds like you are off to a good start!

I really, really appreciate your responses. You're probably right about my output - I'm just so worried about something going wrong at this point and I'm so isolated with my health problems ect.(a feeling I imagine everyone here can relate to). My output seems to alternate between more liquid and more 'solid-like'. Last night after dinner it was just really thick and I guess it kind of scared me. I'm emptying my bag... 6 - 7 times a day/night? (I think.)

My dietician nurse is visiting for the first time tomorrow, so hopefully I can just try and relax until then.
That sounds pretty normal: emptying 6 - 7 times is fine, and you may find that number decreases over the coming weeks. The alterations in consistency are normal also, though again that may well even out a bit when you heal.

I think 2thFairy is right - if it's not causing you pain, it's probably fine, and thick output doesn't usually indicate a serious medical issue. As long as it is getting out (which if you're emptying regularly, it must be), I don't think you need to worry.

I think the main things to watch for that could indicate a problem are no stoma output at all for several hours or a high volume of very watery output.

There is a member of this forum who's written lots of very good articles on all sorts of stoma issues, especially ones involving diet. His website is here: http://www.veganostomy.ca/

Hopefully you'll be able to get some advice specific to you from your dietician as well.

I have had ny ileostomy 1,5 months now. In the mornings and early afternoon my output is more thin and afternoon and evenings it is really thick. I drink orange juice if ny output feels too thick. I like that it's little bit mire thin side cos emptying is easier and no pancaking. OJ helps for me :) but must say, it does make my output smell like vonit, lol :biggrin:

Smoked Mackerel makes mine thin, goes in one end and out t'other in about four hours, smells exactly the same too :ylol2:
I lived in the UK for 6 years and I DO miss smoked mackerel. Can only get it in tins here and it tastes like cat food. One of my faves with smoked fish is to put some in a baby food processor with cream cheese, a little garlic, black pepper and a splash of lemon juiice, wizz it up till smooth and eat on crispy toast.

When it comes through to the bag, it smells like taramasalata. :D

p.s. Even tastier made with smoked roes!

The nurse confirmed that my stool output was really ideal, so that's good. I want to thank everyone for chiming in; I've been really depressed lately so I haven't had the energy to respond until now.

Or maybe I'm just to tired to realize, ha ha. I'm halfway through my Prednisone taper, so no sleep, chronic restlessness - you know, the works. I think I'll get the hang of this - I'm just so scared by this whole thing, though reading through this forum has made me feel a bit better.

It is very scary in the beginning. You should have seen me doing my first 4 bag changes! Panicked, full body sweats, the whole bit. I was so afraid that I wouldn't get it right and would have to drive to my doctor's office with a leaking mess just so they could get it on for me! After the first 4 or 5 times, it was no big deal for me. Getting through all of the "firsts" (first loud noise, first bag change, first leak, first rash, first public restroom emptying, first blockage, etc.) helps put you at ease....the real thing is rarely as horrific as we imagine it will be.

Things change considerably in the first several months - at least they did for me. Toothpaste consistency sounds good :) Keep your fluid intake high and take things slow. You'll get use to things in no time :)