• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

M36 Story-Diagnosed in 2005 with Crohn's

I'm 41 now & was diagnosed with Crohn's in 2005. But not right away, so I spent yrs. from age 18 up with severe diarrhea at times to saying I had IBS. Then being in so much pain I would double over, hardly could eat. Finally found Crohn's & got somewhat under control. Then ended up on Prednisone constant low dose in flares mg increased. What I thought was a savior, swelled me up & gained tons of weight only to add to my back problems. Finally trying to avoid surgery as long as possible, I did have surgery Feb. 2014. Got to the point even on high dose steroids, still flaring. Surgery they took out 18" of small & large bowel, 2 resections. One section had become grown together & almost ready to leak. A few mths after surgery I developed a incisional hernia which now a yr later has went massive. Waiting to have surgery to repair it. But so far no flares, although I get nausea, fatigue, & weakness. I have learned one thing in this process, is that I won't wait as long next time to have surgery. Not as bloated now, even though steroids did help at times. Good to be in your forum, & nice to meet you all.

David

Co-Founder
Welcome to the community. I'm sorry to hear about everything you've been through :(

Do they have you on any maintenance medications?

Do I assume correctly they took out a lot of your small bowel? Have you ever had your vitamin B12 level tested? That fatigue and weakness is a common symptom of B12 deficiency.

All my best to you.

Hey, there, and welcome to the boards. Sounds like you've sure been through the ringer, my friend. I'm sorry to hear that. But you'll have a lot of people here that know what it's like and can offer support.

I agree with the former suggestion made on checking your B12 levels- it's not only important for energy, but also important for the nervous system and tons of other things. The small bowel, specifically the ileum, is responsible for absorbing B12, so if they took it out, you may need to have B12 injections, as I once did. Oral supplements won't help much since they would have to be absorbed through the digestive tract that you're now missing a part of.

I really hope that you get to feeling better soon. Having Crohn's can be like a game of tennis- back and forth, back and forth. Never giving up is the key to coming out ahead. Hugs!

-Autumn