• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Found a stoma bag designed to reduce noises

I've seen a few threads in which people have asked if there's a way to reduce embarrassing stoma noises. I was browsing ostomy products and came across this:

The Alterna bags are made of a noise reducing and odour proof film.
https://www.charterhealthcare.co.uk...piece_hideaway_outlet_shallow_convexity).html

They have other bags from that brand (e.g. non-convex) on the site that say the same. I'm assuming that's referring to the embarrassing noises?

My stoma's usually quiet, so I don't have a reason to try them out (and if I did I wouldn't be able to tell if they were working!), and I don't think Charter will send products to people outside the UK, but maybe non-UK people can get the Coloplast products from a different distributor? For people in the UK, they'll send you samples without a prescription if anyone's interested (though whilst they've got every order I've made correctly, when I have ordered samples, they didn't send the exact products I'd requested).

Nyx

I'd be curious to see how they reduce the noises...my stoma can be really loud sometimes, but I've come to embrace it :)

Even more than stoma noises, what bothers me is the constant crinkle of the plastic. Every brand I have tried is noisy, no matter what type of cover they have. I've used additional cloth covers and can still hear the crinkling. I get really paranoid sometimes that everyone can hear it.

Even more than stoma noises, what bothers me is the constant crinkle of the plastic. Every brand I have tried is noisy, no matter what type of cover they have. I've used additional cloth covers and can still hear the crinkling. I get really paranoid sometimes that everyone can hear it.
I can't say I've ever noticed that. Am I using bags of a different material or am I just not paying attention? (Or I'm going deaf. :p )

I'm sure I'm just overly sensitive to it. My husband notices it, but he knows I have it, so that's a factor too.

My Stoma always gets noisy when I really don't want it to. Usually when I am in important meetings or training new staff. I always wonder should I say something or pretend I heard it too. I usually hold my opposite hand against my Stoma to try and muffle the noise, but tend to feel like it makes it smelly when I do that. What do you do in those situations

Mine hardly makes any noise at all, it's actually quieter than before I had a stoma.
I do notice the crinkly noise of the pouch, but it doesn't bother me, I find it depends which clothes I'm wearing as to how much I can hear it.

fuzzy butterfly

Hi when my Stoma used to get noisy in awkward situations I used to say"sorry I have a friend with me who doesn't know when to shut up".then briefly explain that I had a bag to keep me company on the journey to a better life!!..Can't say my pouch was noisy through !!