• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Cleaning up after C Diff!

Hi All,

Greg has refractory C Diff and is on his second course of Vancomyacin at a double dose. This is Greg's second C Diff infection

I feel really paranoid about cleaning and trying to get rid of any spores that might be lingering in our home.

Has anyone else thought about this?

As he is restarting on Infliximab next Wednesday and will still be on antibiotics for the next 3 weeks I am worried about getting rid of the CDiff!

Thanks David,

I will definitely read it. Thanks for doing the research for me, it really helps. I have read that alcohol doesn't kill the spores but bleach does. In all my life I've never bought those throw away wipes etc, I like to be environmental, I did cloth nappies etc but this time I'm giving in.

Thanks

Thanks I have glanced at the article and it does confirm that using bleach is a good system.

With three kids and a busy household I have never been overly concerned about domestic chores. I'm simply not good at it, we don't live in a total mess but I believe we're fairly normal.

Is it a normal reaction to clean the home like a hospital?

Anyway Greg has explosive diarrhea again today.

He was in hospital from Monday to Wednesday and released as he was picking up. He has an infusion booked for Wednesday.

He's in a significant amount of pain, if he has more than 6 bm's he'll have to go back to hospital I think.

He's had 2 already, one in the early hours of the morning 2.30am and again at 6am. I gave him a heat pack and he went back to sleep.

Actually, I think I should prepare some hydrolyte also.

We need some prayers atm that he can get over this infection!

Well it's 10.30 am here in Australia and he's had 4 horrible bm's and he looks totally washed out. Meanwhile all I can smell is bleach!

Thanks for the prayers xx

For anyone else who has been throuh this what can do for him as his wife to help?

Feeling fairly useless for him right now.

And yes the c diff stinks :stinks:

An update, Greg has quite uncomfortable right side pain.

I am definitely concerned about toxic megacolon as he's had fulminant bowel before.
Although he hasn't any temp and his right side is definitely noisy.

I am concerned because he is getting bouts of diarrhea then it stops and he gets bloated.
So for hours he is in bad pain without BM's

I don't want to be a panic merchant. But I'm a bit freaked out as he's on 1,000 mg Vanco atm which is a massive dose he shouldn't have any symptoms at all with the infliximab and the antibiotics.

I feel like I can't leave him and go to work, but then maybe that's an overreaction.

Any advice??

David

Co-Founder
There's no need to apologize for descriptive posts. It's part of what is necessary at time in this community. We want people to feel comfortable communicating their concerns and the more descriptive they are, the more likely someone will be able to provide some insight. I'd rather see posts like yours than, "My husband doesn't feel well". :)

Thanks for your support, Greg is much better today, no idea what was happening on Sunday!

Hopefully the antibiotics continue to work 250mg of Vanc 4 times a day for two more weeks and clean clean clean!!!

Infliximab tomorrow, that should be enough medicine to hold him!

He's 40 tomorrow!

David

Co-Founder
IF for some reason the Vancomycin doesn't do the trick, you may seriously want to look into fecal transplant. They have been having outstanding results with it versus c-diff.

Yes, I asked. The doctor didn't give us a clear opinion but yes David, there is so much hope in the treatment. We might have to change doctors though but yes, I think his GI is considering it as the next step. As it isn't a standard procedure in Australia yet.

There is a dr who is running a trial fairly locally.

It is surely worth a try before surgery as the outcomes for emergency surgery with fulminant bowel are shocking about 1/3 don't survive.

Last edited:
I recently bought these new wipes from Clorox that actually says it gets rid of c diff from surfaces. I tried them at work and they are very strong. It may help for re-infection.

Thanks SupprtiveMom, I bought some better ones yesterday, I had some with ammonia, but I think they're not helpful, I'm only using bleach products now!

I actually have been washing my hands in the bleach ater cleaning the bathroom then using soap and then a moisturiser. Never would I have pictured myself as the type who would wash their hands neurotically with bleach lol!

I've always steered clear because of concern for the environment :(

I don't know if I can get clorox in Australia, but yes anything with the highest percent of active chlorine is being used in our house atm! The aussie brands I bought yesterday were White King and Pine O Cleen!

I hate bleach too, work for an environmental firm so normally a big no no here too. After having c diff I now keep a small bottle just in case. I use it sparingly. I doubt cleaning your hands in bleach can be good for you though. We need bacteria to survive, you just want the right kind of bacteria. Be sure not to use bleach and ammonia in the same room or you may pass out! May your bout of cdiff be short!

I't's been a week or so, but just an update.

It seems the C-diff is gone! Greg is still symptomatic, but a definite improvement. He has a colonoscopy next Thursday to see why he is still sick - Moderate colitis but not severe.

Here's hoping it (the cdiff)
doesn't come back.

But thanks for the support over the last few weeks, it's been a rough time!

Last time my hubby was in hospital he " acquired " a tub of the cleaning wipes they use in hospitals from his bathroom, and when he had an infection a few weeks ago he acquired surgical scrub brushes, not promoting stealing from hospitals, but if you are .....
We all had a rotavirus ( two littles and I) I used the hospital wipes and my hubby and eldest. Who were out at work and school never got sick, we did everything, handles, light switches, seriously every surface. You can buy those wipes from most hospital pharmacies, just wear gloves with them

Yay! According to my doctor it is common to still have symptoms for a while even after getting rids of cdiff due to the irritation it causes and possibly causing a Crohns or UC flare up. I hope his symptoms go completely away soon.

Hi All,

So Greg has continued to get better Yay! And then he had to prep for his scope today....

Results are:

Apparently he has a small antral gastric erosion and he's been put on an antacid.

His bowel is deifinitely healing which is great

He had quite a few pseudopolyps, some granularity and mucosal changes, mostly in the transverse and decending colon.

But he's getting better!

Greg stuck very seriously to the UC flare diet avoiding all the things like lentils and dairy etc. And the cleaning routine is established.

After Greg having C Diff twice now (and I'm certain I had it mildly too!) I'll be cleaning with bleach forever..... Greg would do a fecal transplant before resorting to surgery but he's rather not give it a go if he can avoid it!!!!!!!

So glad he is getting better! And decent scope results too yay. Oh I am so paranoid after getting C. Diff once, I can't imagine how paranoid you must be (and for good reason) glad he could avoid any further needing treatment.

Hi Frozen girl,

Yes the scope was very well presented! Considering that the Cdiff lingered for so long he is lucky it's gone. I'm not confident that it won't come back again and the odds are it may, but now I know everything about cleaning effectively, whis is good for prevention and cure.

I'm really interested in getting the pathology results next week. Dr took quite a few biopsies.

There were quite a number of psuedopolyps in the transverse colon (cool photos!) and the mucosal changes look a bit like cobblestoning. As he has indeterminate colitis it would be interesting to see a definitive diagnosis for a change.

The good news is the ascending colon looks normal and the TI is good too, last scan he had he had "backwash ileitis" but that has healed :)

Hi Wildbill,

Did you ever have C-Diff? I'm glad you're doing well now with the FMT. I've never heard of it being used for just UC.

Also, A stool bank! We have to have a family or friend as the donor in Australia.

You can have recurrence of C. Diff. for up to two years after the initial infection. A pharmaceutical grade pro-biotic is helpful. Many of the pharmaceutical grade vitamins, minerals and pro-biotics are gluten free, soy free etc.

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
Glad he is doing better! My mother in law just spent close to a couple weeks in the hospital due to c-diff and the associated dehydration etc.....she has been out for about a week now, and we are supposed to go there for Easter this Sunday....I'm hoping she doesn't have any relapse before then! A friend of mine has been dealing with issues for over a month now, she thinks she has finally kicked everything - keeping fingers crossed!