• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Questionable foods for new Ileostomy?

As I'm wading further into this new lifestyle, I'm finding the whole 'food thing' to be a MAJOR stressor. (It doesn't help that I feel bloated all the time from all the liquid I'm trying to drink. :yrolleyes:)

I do have a couple of questions regarding specific foods, though. Are Avocados and Fig Newtons considered safe to eat? I wasn't sure if the date paste in Fig Newtons is processed enough... As for avocados, I always thought they were incredibly high in fiber...

Anybody have any experience with these foods?

At first, you do have to be cautious, I believe Avocado is fine, although I've never tried it yet, not sure what Fig Newtons are, Fig Rolls in the UK perhaps ?.
I would steer clear of those just now, better safe than sorry.
I lived off various pasta's , smooth peanut butter, cheese , chicken and bananas at first (. Not all at the same time though, that would be disgusting lol ).

Further to the Avocado question, it has it as a safe food on my list I got from the Stoma nurse, but it is indeed high in fibre, so I guess you just have to try a tiny bit at first and see

Avacado has been absolutely fine for me, not tried fig rolls yet as I'm not a massive fan. Since day 1 of my op I've not restricted food at all, my surgeon said I can eat what I want, but maybe steer clear of dried fruit and nuts for a while, so that's what I've done. I've not had any issues with any foods as of yet and my diet is pretty much what it was pre surgery, I even ate a massive bowl of coleslaw, it was only when I was most of the way through it I though 'uh oh', luckily no problems the next day. I don't know if I've just been very lucky or if others are just overly cautious.

Avocado was one of the few fruits/vegetables that I could eat when I had a stoma prone to blockages. (Now I have a stoma that doesn't seem to block.)

I don't know what a fig newton is, but I wouldn't have risked figs when I had my previous stomas, especially with all their pips.

Probably a good call on the Fig Newtons. All of the large pictures I can find on the internet :)lol:)seem to show some seed-like pieces in the fig paste. Maybe not a good idea. :dog:

I feel like I'm relegated to a Nursing-home / junk food diet here. It's driving me crazy. I've purchased some pureed Toddler food, but haven't had the desire (or been 'desperate' enough) to try it...

Has anyone ever been able to tolerate Clif Bars or Clif Bar's line of Builder Bars? I used to eat these a lot before my surgery and really love them, but they all contain flaxseed meal. It's the meal, so it should be ground up, but I'm not sure if that's something I'll ever be able to eat?

I'm only 3 & 1/2 weeks post-op, so maybe not yet? Hopefully I can eventually... :frown: