• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Invisible disease?

Hi all,

I'm very happy to find this forum and look forward to meeting all of you.

I'm sure my story isn't unique but here it is anyway....

My diagnosis came over 10 years ago. I was seriously ill when I was diagnosed (ulcers, drastic weight loss, fistulas - the works). Since then I have had a couple of bad flare ups. The first flare happened about 5 years ago. I was off work so long, I lost my job. I'm just coming out of the 2nd major flare and though I'm still not entirely back to normal, I've returned to work. I've managed minor flares with diet changes and rest.

Except for when I'm really ill, I look healthy. A few people made remarks suggesting I was faking my illness so I could take time off work. I find this so frustrating. Have any of you had this experience? If so, how do you deal with it?

:welcome: Search this forum for "don't look sick" to find a bunch of threads of folks who understand you!!!!

As I've learned more about IBD I will typically in social situations reply with something "educational" when I get comments that display a lack of knowledge. Talking matter of factly about bowels/inflammation/disease activity/symptoms/extra intestinal manifestions/colonoscopies/etc - I'm sure folks get more than they bargained for :ybiggrin:

Work is a tricky environment...... harder to figure out.

CCFA has lots of literature you could point folks to - I like saying "the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America" (there are CCF-fill-in-the-blank in other countries)... makes folks who aren't too knowledgeable think about IBD less as a "fringe" thing, I think.
http://www.ccfa.org/science-and-professionals/programs-materials/patient-brochures/
http://www.ccfa.org/assets/pdfs/updatedibdfactbook.pdf

Guess it depends on the situation/your personality/etc whether you ignore/ educate/etc.

I wonder what sort of discussion would happen if to "You don't look sick" an IBD patient said (politely, of course): "Apart from me do you know anyone with Crohn's or Colitis?" :D I might try that if the right situation crops up......

I used to just say something along the lines of "well that is how this disease is but you can't see the damage that is being done inside". Or "there are lots of diseases where people don't look sick but actually are". That's nice and non-confrontational and isn't even making it all about us Crohnies but it does suggest that people get some empathy!!!

These days, having been through that much more with this disease, I like to be a bit more challenging with something like "well you can't see my insides" and then tell them exactly how they are in truth not pretty, I've had lots of strictures and a big nasty abscess, so there's still scar tissue, adhesions, everything that comes with that. And I can say with confidence that this is what my surgeon reports back to me when he's seen inside. And *adds emphasis for the doubters* he is the one who has actually had a good look at everything and is the expert on this disease (i.e. not the person who is happily telling me I look well). It has the advantage of being factual and isn't me talking about what others can perceive as vague (because they are I suppose to a degree subjective) things like pain and fatigue. Although I don't think there's anything wrong with telling people how much those things affect you!

Or I say "yes, it's ironic isn't it because I've had three life-saving surgeries and my doctors now talk to me about my life-expectancy". Which is all true - not something I dwell on at all or find easy to believe myself but I do feel, depending on the person and the situation, that it can be appropriate to say to really bring it home to people that this disease can be life-threatening and that it shouldn't be dismissed.

I used to really struggle with others perception of my illness. When I was first diagnosed I had a doctor who told me that Crohn's patients who joined patient groups to talk about their disease were "whingers" (he was needless to say not right about that!) and after that a doctor who despite my continued pain on meds said he wasn't interested in hearing about my symptoms because I wasn't "the sickest patient he had". So I'd look around the waiting rooms and I'd compare myself - was I as sick as this very ill looking patient? Or that very underweight patient? The weight issue certainly bothered me when I was falsely robust and healthy looking with steroid weight gain. When people told me about their friends or relatives with Crohn's who'd been hospitalized I felt they judged me when I answered their questions and said I'd never been in hospital. But we all have different kinds of Crohn's and it affects us all in such different ways and we cope in different ways. And we are influenced to cope in different ways. I had been in pain for as long as I could remember and that meant that I had learned to cope with quite a level of pain and didn't see the need to go to hopsital to get help even when it was very severe because I never had even before I was diagnosed - and because I felt I had doctors who were telling me that I had no right to get help. I didn't for a long time have any emergency situation like a complete bowel obstruction, perforation, or abscess that would have precipitated admission to hospital. But that didn't mean that I didn't have serious disease that was progressing largely untreated.

I say all this because I feel that the stigma of having an 'invisible disease' made it harder for me to ask for help and get treatment. It made me feel less worthy of treatment. And as a result I got sicker and am probably sicker now than if I had had good treatment back then.

Now, having had experiences that were all too visible to others - extreme malnutrition, a life-threateningly low BMI, an ng tube that I wore out with a backpack pumping my liquid diet at 50ml per hour, being pushed in a wheelchair when I was too weak to walk - and knowing that this disease can be serious debilitating and even life-threatening - and having experienced that, I don't have any hesitation about telling people just what it means to have Crohn's and how not invisible the effects are - even if some people are blind to it. But I wouldn't want anyone to feel they have to go through these experiences - or similar ones - to speak with that weight of authority. Crohn's is a serious, debilitating, potentially life-threatening condition, even now in 2015. If people have trouble dealing with that it's their issue but I won't shy away from telling them.

I really do hope that our combined voices and experiences can empower each other to ask for help when we need it and to stand up for each other by educating those who have little or no knowledge of IBD.:ghug:

Hey and welcome. Sorry people are being crappy. Your disease isn't invisible here at least.

I do feel for you. I have bowel disease and endometriosis (another much mythycized and generally poorly understood disease). Anyhow they are both 'invisible' and both have systemic effects in my body. I used to respond the same as 24601 with 'you should see my insides' because it is entirely true...The disease is usually very visible indeed just not where we can see - if you know what I mean! I think I'm learning that facts in the main slip off people's backs anyway; I am missing multiple organs and sections of multiple others but as facts they convey nothing of the pain, dysfunction and loss and bleak future. We hear of death and disease all the time in the media...if we are switched off we are just immune to it.

Work is a real nightmare. If you're off ill then people moan that they have so much do to and you aren't contibuting, but if you're there then your obviously fine by their reasoning. So it's hard to win. One thing suggested to me when I'd had my fill of 'you look well' comments was to say 'yep I wake up each morning and the first thing I think is how well am I!' Can through them off kilter without being rude. I have some equipment to enable me to do my job and I know a few people have made comments I'm getting 'special treatment' yep wouldn't you just love to be this special and of course if they weren't there and I was slowed down...

I think the bottom line is there is limit to what people will understand, just like there is a limit to what I understand of their experiences that I've not had. I would suggest experimenting to find work works for you. Also even if you can find just one person who is open minded about it, then it can help decrease the stress caused by others lacking thoughtfulness. I hope you continue to recover from the flare and good luck with it.