03-17-2015, 06:50 PM   #31
Maya142
Forum Monitor

M liked milk chocolate - there's also a variety pack and a no sugar added variety pack if she thinks they're too sweet.
Good luck!!
Juvenile Ankylosing Spondylitis at 16

Mom of S (23)
dx with JIA at 14
Ankylosing Spondylitis at 18
03-17-2015, 07:30 PM   #32
InkyStinky

My Support Groups:
Feel like I need a disclaimer here... I'm an adult, not flaring, don't have GP, and at a healthy body weight --- but just wanted to say I've been using beef Collagen Hydrolysate powder (like gelatin, but cold water soluble) for the protein and amino acids. I add it to yogurt, broth, etc - in the yogurt I notice a slight gelatin sort of flavor if I add a lot, but to me it's much more of a "neutral" taste than protein powders.

The brand I'm using right now is "Great Lakes" (got it off amazon) and a Serving Size of 2tbs has
50 calories
0 fat
14mg sodium
0 carb
13g protein

(I've also heard good things about the "Vital Proteins" brand, and will probably order their Collagen Peptides next time as the packaging is supposed to be more moisture-proof, or so I've heard.)

Anyway, not sure if this would be helpful but thought I'd pass it along. Wishing your daughter the best!

Ethel: “So, is everything okey-dokey?” Lucy: “No, it’s inky-stinky” ~ I Love Lucy

-Are you looking for a new treatment option for your Crohn's disease? If so, I suggest you look into the ongoing clinical trial by Qu Biologics for their SSI treatment. Click here for more information or to help spread the word.
03-19-2015, 07:19 AM   #33
Mehita
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
We've been meeting with a dietician about weight gain. A product she mentioned that I haven't had time to look up yet is called Enlive that you can get at medical supply stores.

I can also send you my notes from my meetings with her, Kim.

DS has been doing Ensure Plus or Boost Plus daily. They have about 350 extra caolories. Personally, I like Orgain best, but they don't have a plus version.

As for protein powders, we use the one from our fitness club. I've been told whey protein is best if used with kids and it should be a kind with not too much extra "stuff" (i.e. fewer ingredients). Beyond that it's a matter of personal taste preference. He never drinks it straight. I'm usually adding it in to something like protein balls, smoothies, etc. so taste isn't really an issue.
- Multivitamins, Probiotics, Vit D
- Small bowel resection, Jan 2013
03-19-2015, 07:47 AM   #34
crohnsinct

My Support Groups:
Mehita: weight gain comes up a lot here. Would you mind starting a new thread under that title and sharing what you learned?
Vit d 2000IU
Multi vitamin plus iron
Calcium

Previously used - Prednisone, Prevacid, Enteral Nutrition, Methotrexate oral and injections, Folic Acid, Probiotics, Cortofoam

Daughter T dx 1/2/15 at age 11
Vitaligo, Precoscious puberty & Crohn's
Remicade
Vit D 2000IU

Previously used, Exclusive Enteral Nutrition, Methotrexate (injections and oral), Folic Acid, Entocort,IBD-AID Diet
03-19-2015, 08:10 AM   #35
kikig

My Support Groups:
For weight gain, I use the Whey Protein powder which is available from fitness clubs. It is quickly absorbed, comes in a variety of flavours and is relatively cheap. Just make sure it is not packed with extra sugars etc.
I use the whey protein during the day and in the evening I switch to casein protein powder as it takes longer to digest which is fine for night time.
Food wise, I forced myself to develop a taste for cottage cheese, which has lots of protein.
My GI doctor recommended the above strategy.