• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

When will the weight gain go away?

Hi, friends! I just joined so I'm new to this, but I'm super anxious and really worried looking for some advice/input. Basically I was diagnosed with Crohn's February 2014. I am very blessed in that I have never had the diarrhea issue. My Crohn's symptoms are mainly extreme bloating (looking about 4 months pregnant), nausea, extreme fatigue, cramps, and frequent awful flatulence. I was put on Pentasa and Entocort (3mg 3x/day). I did fine until month 5. I started gaining weight and gained 10 pounds in two months at that point and am up another 5 now for a total of 15. I am a dance instructor. I eat really healthy and clean, I do love some sweets every now and then, and I workout 5-6x per week. The weight gain just doesn't make sense and my husband and I both think it has to be the Entocort. (Btw, my husband is a personal trainer and so from a professional point of view he doesn't understand it either with the way that I eat and workout.) I do count calories and track calories burned during workouts and considering the fact that weight management is a mathematical equation, my uncontrollable weight gain must be due to the medicine. I have slowly tapered off the Entocort for the last 3 months and am no longer on that, but continue to take the Pentasa (when I remember... Bad, I know) and I started Humira injections (every other week) back in December when I started weaning off the Entocort. So for now it's Pentasa and Humira and been completely off Entocort for a few days but slowly weaning since December. I thought the weight would come off with the weaning, but no, I'm slowly getting bigger. I know that 15 lbs may not sound like a lot when I hear others stories, but to me uncontrollable weight gain, no matter how much or how little, is very frustrating. I fear that it will only get worse. My doctor doesn't believe it's that and says that the better absorption of nutrients could be it, but 15 lbs? Really??? I started this journey at 136 and purposely lost weight with diet and excerise getting down to 123 and maintained until the rapid weight gain started and now I'm at 138. I know it may not seem like much, but that's 15 lbs and again I fear that it is only the beginning. Has anyone else experienced this with Entocort? If so, we're you able to lose the weight and roughly how long until it comes off?

Thanks for all your help everyone!!! 😊

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
Hi and welcome! I'm afraid that I've been on prednisone before but not the entocort. But, from what I've read it does look like it's most likely the entocort's fault with the weight gain. You say that you've only been off it for a few days? If so, I'm afraid it's going to take a bit longer for the entocort to work it's way out of you. I do know that when I was on prednisone it took 2-3 months for my moon face to go away and to feel "more like myself". I'm not sure about the weight gain though. But, one thing I do know is that we're here for you to talk to along the way and I hope to see you around. Take care. :)

Cross-stitch, thank you so much! I know it will take more than just a few days but I thought maybe with the weaning I would have at least stopped gaining. 😏 I grestly appreciate your support and all the info you gave. 😉

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
No problem. Wish I had better info for you. I have some friends on here who've talked about entocort and have more knowledge than I. But, you've come to a wonderful place for information and support. So, don't be afraid to look around and talk to us.