• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Can't use flagyl & cipro, what can I use for a flare up?

Hello. Using cipro and/or flagyl have worked well for my flare ups for 3 years but I can't take them now. Cipro causes tendon problems and I'm allergic to flagyl. I'm having a flare up again and I need alternatives. Do you know any safe and effective abx alternatives for crohn's flare ups?

Rifaximin makes me worse, clarithromycin is not as effective. Tried vancomycin with no luck.

Thanks a lot.

Did you mean that you can't use EEN because you are casein intolerant? There are some without casein. I used VivonexPlus without any problem; however you would need to confirm that their formula is casein--free. A dietician should be able to help you find one, or you could contact some of the formula manufacturers. Good luck with whatever treatment you choose--may you soon be feeling better.

Augmentin has helped me several times in the past too.

Alternatively, could you try a course of steroids?