• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New member - Undiagnosed Crohn's

Hello everyone, my name is Dan.

I was browsing the web looking for more information regarding Crohn's and found this beautiful forum.

For the past few years I have had a very touchy stomach. At first I thought it was a gluten intolerance. I went off of gluten for a while and felt the best I ever felt. I slipped back into my burger eating lifestyle and then eventually started having some very bad symptoms.

It started with on and off again diarrhea. I didn't realize that this was that unusual, as It was something I had lived with for a while. I assumed it to be just a side effect of eating out, burgers and greasy foods. However, about a month ago I started getting very bloody stools followed by a fever with very bad achey joint pain. After this happened I sought out a proctologist. He found a tear and fixed it and I've see him weekly for the past 3 weeks. He has yet to give me any diagnoses... but after reading so many of the reports and symptoms here I am very confident I am dealing with an IBD.

The worst thing is having to run to the bathroom, then getting a low grade fever about an hour after it. This is my typical flare. I'll feel miserable for the next 6 hours with chills, aches, fever, and uncontrollable shivering and joint pain. The fever will break that night and I'll wake up soaked in sweat. The next week or so is constant nausea, tender stomach, bloating, gas, and off and on diarrhea. Lactose seems to be intolerant at this point and makes it worse, but not when I'm in a "flare".

I have my fourth appointment tomorrow. I plan on being upfront with my doctor an asking him if he has a diagnoses, and if he has thought anything of Crohn's disease. I'd like him to test me for it if he already hasn't.

Anyways, that's my story. I'm glad I found you guys!

Hello Dan

Welcome to the forum.
What can I say, your story sounds like mine. I hope you find a good doctor, I hope a diagnosis is achievable and quick, I hope you have the support you need in your daily life, and I hope you can find a cure or as good as!

It sounds like you are beginning to work out what is good/bad/worse for you, and I can really recommend doing as much as possible to help yourself. Try to avoid the bad habits and start some good ones. This forum is a good source of inspiration.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Hi Dan;

Sometimes getting diagnosed take too long. I dont think IBD has fevers , sounds more like crohns. Keep a daily log, pain/# trips to bathroom/ state of stools/blood ,If you have a bad day or days log what you ate. Most people try to steer from Milk products, and sugar to start with. Acidicy may also be a trigger, or too much fiber. Find a GI you like and possible get a few opinions. I know I stuck with the same one for months because of the pain of tests and such and that may not be the best thing.

Dx'd JAN ,3/2013
Meds: AZA, Lialdo .. almost no effect
LDN - 4 months - mild help,
Preg - 1 year on/off - good effect
humira 1.5 years - remission