• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

A quick question on bleeding

Anyone with experience of rectal bleeding know the difference between fresh red blood like if you cut yourself and thick deep red blood Being passed? I have both and not consistently one or the other and wonder if there are two issues at play or whether it is just where the inflammation is causing it and how quickly it comes out. I'm guessing maybe the thicker looking blood is mixed with something else?
Any info anyone has is much appreciated

The longer blood is in the digestive tract, the darker it becomes. This normally means that blood that originates higher in your bowels is darker and brighter comes from closer to your rectum. I think you would also need to factor in how fast your bowels are moving though. If this has not been discussed with your GI before, please make sure you mention it on your next visit. Keeping a log of what bleeding you observe and what type of stools you pass at the same time could help as well.

I am currently keeping a record of what's happening and when,I was In the hospital until this past weekend trying to get the flare under control and they didn't appear to concerned by the type of blood. I just find the bleeding strange, I think the blood appears thicker when I haven't had a bm for awhile which would agree with being in there longer. It has never been darker than a maroon colour and is frequently fresh red. Although sometimes I have D with blood before and after but not during. This is a strange disease with so many variables

I think in the hospitals they sort of expect bleeding with crohn's, so unless it is gushing out of you it doesn't raise much interest unless your bloods show you are really down in you blood counts.

Typically when I was discharged it looked like the bleeding was starting to disappear but sadly it has increased a little. My bloods in hospital weren't a concern and the bleeding was heavier than now so I can take that as a good thing.

If you notice an odor or the blood increases rapidly I recommend you ask for a stool test for c diff. You can pick it up in hospital settings. My kid got it during her 2nd hospital stay. It has crohns symptoms but treated with antibiotics. Hope things turn around for you quickly!