• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Middle of the night poo - what if it hadn't woken me?

Gross right? But I *barely* made it in the early hours this morning, and that got me thinking -- what if I hadn't woken fast enough?

Please please tell me that it will wake me. I've gone through this before, a year ago, and I know I always made it out of bed then. But I'm dealing with a potential diagnosis of sleep apnea and not sleeping well at all right now, except in the early hours...

Do I start sleeping on a towel? Invest in adult diapers? Sleep on the toilet?

At the same time -- I had told my GI NP that this has happened in the past, but wasn't currently happening when I saw her a week ago. My colonoscopy with GI Dr is next Friday. Is it worth calling them about, or just tell them next week?

I don't think anything grosses out someone with crohn's disease anymore first off, Lol.

Secondly, I have always woken up unless I was under some form of sedative/pain killing medication - which you would think would slow things down enough but not always the case. If I were you I would just never trust a fart, not half asleep certainly.

Good advice up there---never trust a fart. I had two accidents in the bed, but every other time I woke up. I would go back and forth with sleeping on a towel.

A few times I woke up as it was happening and didn't manage to move fast enough. Not good, and changing your sheets at 3am isn't fun. Sleeping on a towel might not be a bad idea.

Thank you all!

I think tonight I may sleep on a towel just for peace of mind, and see how things go (ha!).

Of course I should have known that really nothing poo related is "gross" here anymore LOL.

Very good advice to not trust a fart - I never do during daylight, no reason to at night, right?

Really, though, thanks so much. Just knowing I can come here, post this, and you guys have btdt, understand, etc, really means a lot.

Before I had my ileostomy I had accidents sometimes, I did have accidents when in bed, but I think that's because I had so many rectal problems, including recurring rectal prolapses, which affected my ability to know when it was happening and control it. So I had accidents when awake too. Without those rectal problems, you should get enough sensation of what's going to happen to wake you up. I used incontinence pads, I know it's not glamorous. You can buy mattress protectors to put under your sheet, though I found an old shower curtain protects mattresses too. Now I have my ileostomy, I still use a mattress protector in case of leaks, but in the year and a half that I've had my stoma, it's only been put to the test one time.

I've had the wee morning runs to the bathroom...and I usually just barley don't make it. Thankfully it hasn't been in bed but still having to shower at 2am isn't fun, and taking your pants downstairs to the washer isn't fun either. on my worse nights I sleep next to the bathroom.

I've had 1 accident in bed - but thankfully only a little came out and then I woke up and was able to run to the bathroom. I sleep on my stomach which helped with the clean up...

I made it through last night with no accidents!

Still going to keep the towel under me, as I sleep on my back or side, but have a bit more confidence now.