• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Kidney pain

Hello my fellow crohnies,

Question, has anybody experienced kidney or flank pain along with their crohns symptoms? I've noticed when I get cramping or pain I also get this kidney pain. I was at my GI last week and he has scheduled me to get a renal ultrasound, was curious if anybody has had this symptom along with crohns? I believe it is related to my crohns because I mainly only get the pain along with the crohns pain. I also have no other troubles like going pee or anything. The pain feels is very colicky and hurts to lay down or take deep breaths and comes and goes. It isn't very severe pain so I don't think it's kidney stones.

Oh and I've been in a flare for over a year and am having a very difficult time getting it under control! My crohns is in my terminal ileum.

Thanks!
Lynne

People with IBD are more prone to kidney stones. I would look into it and see if it isn't just a small stone causing problems. I had a kidney stone attack during a really bad flare of mine back in 2010.

Kidney stones can cause blood in the urine but I never had it. They can cause nausea from the severe pain. I was in the middle of a flare so I had the typical malnutrition going on, stomach pain, diarrhea, etc. If it's a kidney stone you would know, the pain is intense. It could also just be an infection so definitely worth the ultrasound.

Yea I definetly don't think I have that, the pain isn't severe! Well going for an ultrasound this week on my kidney and also getting blood and urine sample too so hopefully they can figure out if it's just referred pain from the crohns or something else!