• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hi - new in this forum, not to the world of CD

Hi! I am a fellow Chronie nearing 25 years post diagnosis (but I am sure I have had this my whole life).
In August of 1990, I laid in bed in severe pain. Two days later I drove to my parents house and asked if they could take me to the ER. They opened meup expecting a ruptured appendix and found I was going septic from a ruptured ileum. An 18" emergency resection, then 5 weeks in the hospital followed. Went home for about a week and returned with a large abscess and another week in the hospital.
The next ten-ish years went fairly well with a REALLY strict diet and some basic meds. Then a flare and a round of prednisone. Then another ten years of feeling pretty normal and a pretty strict diet and basic meds. The last few years have been a little rough compared to the first 20.
I have had a lot of extra-intestinal manifestations (mostly skin issues, joint pain and spine issues). I have had one fistula that was manged extremely well via a seton.
Generally I consider myself one of the lucky ones. I work full time+ and I enjoy my hobbies and social life. I just want to smooth out some bumps and enjoy some laughter.
I hope I can be of help to some folks.....even when I get in my silly modes!

David

Co-Founder
Welcome to the community!

Out of curiosity, what is your current treatment regimen and what diet worked well for you?

All my best to you.

Hi David. I am not a big proponent of any one diet. I have tried most and I found my own personal combination of foods worked best. Basically I tolerate next to no fruits or vegetables, I eat almost solely chicken or fish, little to no spice/seasonings, avoid sesame seeds like the plague, nothing more than 3g of fiber, lots of rice-potatoes and white bread. It's not the healthiest for most folks, but it has helped me. I have cheated a lot in the last ten years and I blame that for my most recent issues (that and getting older!) Oh and I am lucky and tolerate milk products really well....I adore ice cream and often use a glass of milk to fill me up.