• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Swollen stoma

My stoma has been very prolapsed for a while, so it's also wide, i.e. the hole cut in the base plate has to have a big circumference for it to fit through, but it varies in size as when the stoma is active it prolapses more so the circumference of the base of the stoma gets bigger. (You've no idea how much trouble I had describing that. :p Hopefully someone knows what I mean.)

Yesterday it got a lot bigger (the circumference, not the length of the prolapse) so much so that it hurt and I had to put on a bag with a bigger hole cut in it. It's still massively swollen today.

I know swollen often = blockage, but it's definitely not blocked. If anything there's been more output than usual, and it's perfectly thick, healthy consistency.

I've had blockages in the past, though none since getting this stoma. I know what they feel like, and this felt like the pain of a mild blockage, until I took off the bag that was too small, at which point the stoma, no longer being trapped by the bag, immediately expanded, relieving the pain.

Do I have a blockage despite normal output, or something other than a blockage causing my stoma to swell?