• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Side effect of Crohn's or Humira?

My mother has always had stomach issues all her life, this February she was so severe she was in the hospital and diagnosed with Crohns. Half way through her week hospital stay i noticed she was having cognitive problems, I chalked it up to her tramatic experience.
It has now been three months and she has severely declined mentally. She called me two months ago sounding alarmed she was having problems with her speech, though she was speaking clearly. She has gotten worse as time goes on each day her compensity fluctuates. Some days is just little things as in what day it is or if she ate...other days it's so bad you have to struggle to convince her she has no pants on..some times I cannot figure out what she is trying to tell me.
I know very little about her disease but the doctors inform me this is not a Crohn's or Humira symptom. Has anyone experienced this issue?

-Scared 36yr old daughter
62 yr old mother with Crohn's

Welcome to the forum. Has she been seen by a neurologist? May not be a side effect of medicines but is not normal. Insist that they find the cause of her cognitive problems. I wish you and your Mom the Best.

Thank you, the last time she was hospitalized a neurologist did see her but I don't think he was very thorough. I'm planning to make her an appointment for another.

Funny you should ask that...she has had tingling her feet for a few years. She has mentioned her feet hurting recently though she has been hospitalized for total of 3 weeks since February so is she weak.is that maybe related?

David

Co-Founder
Quite possibly. Vitamin B12 deficiency (list of possible symptoms can be found there) is VERY VERY common in people with Crohn's disease. People with severe, chronic deficiency can experience what you described of your mom.

I would get her tested IMMEDIATELY as it is reversible.

Thank you i will. I actually started giving her B-12 this morning after I read on this forum that it could be low due to Crohns. her doctor tested and found she had low vitamin D and also anemia so she ison iron.

David

Co-Founder
If she has B12 deficiency due to Crohn's disease and that's what is causing her symptoms, giving her oral B12 will be like fighting a 5 alarm fire with a fire hose. I'm not saying don't do it, but she would need regular injections of B12.

Definitely bringing up with her doctor ASAP but can't hurt to give her until we see her. Thank you! You have given me a direction unlike all the doctors she's seen...time to find one that is knowledgeable of Crohns I'm learning.

Lady Organic

Staff member
also does she take sleeping pills? This is now well-known to create cognitive troubles as side effects. along with great advice above from David, I'd really take a appoinment with neurologist asap. good luck.

Funny you should ask that...she has had tingling her feet for a few years. She has mentioned her feet hurting recently though she has been hospitalized for total of 3 weeks since February so is she weak.is that maybe related?
Does she have diabetes? Peripheral neuropathy can cause the tingling. It has many causes but often is caused by diabetes. Or it may be related to the cognitive problems as the tingling is a neurological symptom. The cognitive symptoms are not Crohn's symptoms and (as said above) need a neurologist to diagnose.

also does she take sleeping pills? This is now well-known to create cognitive troubles as side effects. along with great advice above from David, I'd really take a appoinment with neurologist asap. good luck.
Her husband had her taking one every night. I haven't given her one in 3 nights since she seems to sleep fine. I didn't think it was right he was giving them to her without her knowing. Not sure how long the affects last with weeks of having them nightly.

Does she have diabetes? Peripheral neuropathy can cause the tingling. It has many causes but often is caused by diabetes. Or it may be related to the cognitive problems as the tingling is a neurological symptom. The cognitive symptoms are not Crohn's symptoms and (as said above) need a neurologist to diagnose.
My father is a diabetic...first thing I had her checked for...her sugar was checked everyday in the hospital and was normal. Thanks for the idea!

Lady Organic

Staff member
Her husband had her taking one every night. I haven't given her one in 3 nights since she seems to sleep fine. I didn't think it was right he was giving them to her without her knowing. Not sure how long the affects last with weeks of having them nightly.
your feeling was right, we cant give medication/treatment to someone without their consent. were these her husband's pills prescription given by a pharmacist? If your mothers returns under the care of her husband, I'd suggest you inform him firmly about that. A pharmacist can assist you in finding the proper conversation/arguments to tell him.

I know of side effects for long-lasting use of sleeping pills. A couple of weeks administration? Im not sure, but its possible, again a pharmacist could help in this regard in the meantime of medical appointments.

your feeling was right, we cant give medication/treatment to someone without their consent. were these her husband's pills prescription given by a pharmacist? If your mothers returns under the care of her husband, I'd suggest you inform him firmly about that. A pharmacist can assist you in finding the proper conversation/arguments to tell him.

I know of side effects for long-lasting use of sleeping pills. A couple of weeks administration? Im not sure, but its possible, again a pharmacist could help in this regard in the meantime of medical appointments.
I was not happy to find out he was! I have moved her to my house and my plan is to keep here until she is taking care of herself independently. Her last hospital stay told him to give them to her as needed but NOT every night...she thought it was just tylenol.

Lady Organic

Staff member
im sorry to hear this story. If the hospital staff provided sleeping pills without properly informing her and getting her consent, that is an illegal act that should be reported to the hospital, but I understand if you and your mother dont feel like engaging into complaints at this time. too often things like that happen, very often with psychiatric or vulnerable patients, different manipulative strategies are used to force patient into taking medication.
Im wishing you well and speedy recovery to your mother.

Oooh. People with IBD should never take ibuprofen. It can worsen Crohn's symptoms considerably.

How long has she been taking ibuprofen regularly?
I can only guess he was giving them daily for a week or two. I told her not to take anymore and will watch. She doesnt have any pain so she doesn't need anything.