• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Just diagnosed with Crohn's disease today

So today I finally got my diagnosis for having Crohn's disease affecting my small and large intestine.
I always knew it was inevitable that I would get some sort of IBD as my grandfather, father, uncle and cousins have UC & Crohn's.
It started a few months ago with the usual symptoms: rushing to the toilet 10+ times a day, cramping, general unwell/tired feeling and seemed to get worse and worse.
After my colonoscopy (they thought it could be UC at first) I was prescribed asacol 800 x3 a day. At first this was a godsend and everything went back to normal for a couple of months. After I missed 2 days of asacol due to my poor organizational skills with renewing my prescription everything went down hill and I started waking up in the night needing the toilet and the other symptoms just got worse.
I eventually stopped taking asacol as I had it in my head it was making me need the toilet more.

I had an MRI scan 6 weeks ago and got my results from the GI today, I have Crohn's disease affecting my small and large intestine.
I have been prescribed presnisolone 40mg for 7 days then 30mg then 20mg for the remainder, the course is 10 weeks in total.
The main focus for me is to get out of this flare up as I have just started a new job and it's not making a great first impression being miserable and tired every day.

What are people's opinions on prednisolone?
Has the DR given me it too early having just been diagnosed?
How effective is it and are there any side effects I should know about around the amount and length of the course he is advising?

I will also be starting asathioprine as a maintenance drug, so same questions with that too please?

This is all so new to me I don't know where to start with diet etc, I'm a really fussy eater and have never been a fan of vegetables I enjoy fruit however.

Any advice is really appreciated as a newcomer to the forum.

Thank you :)

Last edited:
Hey Phil,

Sorry to hear about your recent troubles.

I would take some time to really make a solid plan for yourself that would involve diet, lifestyle and whatever medication you may decide to take.

This way you will be able to track how you feel, what you react to, what fits your lifestyle etc.

I have done it all from chinese medicine to western medicine. From any diet imaginable to no diet restrictions.

Let me know what you plan to do and what specifically you need more help with. I will gladly assist you :)

scottsma

Hi Phil and welcome to the forum. I'm sorry you have to be here at all but you will get lots of support and advice.What you will soon understand is the Crohnie Mantra "We Are All Different". That means what works for one person has no effect on others.That includes meds,diet,lifestyle etc.Over the years I've tried lots of things that I hoped would help me,but I find SOME fruits and veg.disagree with me,fried foods and processed foods too.A bland diet is usually good when flaring.Chicken,white rice,mashed potato,toast etc.but it's all trial and error.There are lots of threads on the forum for you to study,then try what you think suits you best......The steroids should sort you out.Most of us have been on them at one time or another to get inflammation under control.I only used them for a month,tapering,with no side effects, but many on here have been on them forever.If you type in prednisolone UK at the top of the page,there will be threads for you to study.Try not to worry to much about other peoples side effects,just be aware.Like I said we're all different.!!! I know there will be people along soon with more advice for you,but the time difference means you sometimes have to wait awhile.I just wanted to say Hi,and although you may feel overwhelmed at the moment,you will get used to the idea.The Pred.,might be all you need to sort you out for a good long while.It does happen.

Hi Phil,

I was diagnosed with possible UC over a month ago. I do not have a definitive diagnosis bc I was so inflamed when my GI dr did my colonoscopy. I have to have a follow up done. I spent 6 nights in the hospital and have been on sulfasalzine and prednisone since then and by the looks of the prednisone I still have another month and half left on. Once my prednisone was down to one pill (10 mg) a day my moods were more evened out however I have noticed that my face has broken out really bad and as a 24 year old girl that's not good lol. My dr told me that he has me on prednisone to reduce the inflammation. Since being discharged I have been better so the drug combo does work. This is my first experience with UC &/or crohns so I don't have a lot of information.

Thanks for the replies :)

I'm on day 2 of the prednisolone and I feel a bit peaky and warm but my symptoms have already calmed down and only been to the toilet twice today which is so good for me!

Not looking forward to the acne if I get it but I have a beard so that covers a good majority of my face :)

Thank you

Prednisone hasnt done much for me but gain weight.. I am going to a biologic. since starting the meds I have broke out in achne, gained some weight back, had some mood swings. My advice is keep a journal with what you eat,meds, ect. I have been able to figure some problem foodsby doing this. it will also help your doctor to see things you might not have noticed.

I too have just been recently diagnosed (3 weeks ago). I was put straight in pred, pentasa and azathiaprone. 40mg of pred daily and the only side effects I seem to be having is not being able to sleep and getting rosey cheeks. I have not yet had increased appetite so have not gained any weight. I get to start reducing my intake 5mg every 10 days until I get down to 15mg and I will remain on that for a while.

It takes a couple of months for the azathiaprone to kick in so I don't know any effects of that yet. I'm in 150mg daily and have to have a blood test in 2 weeks to see how my levels are and my need to be adjusted then.

I'm on 3mg of pentasa daily.

Since taking the meds I have definitely noticed a change for the better. Less frequent and less urgent toilet visits and significantly less abdominal pain.

I have started keeping a food diary (there is a really good app called my symptoms that I use) so I can track what foods do and don't agree with me.

There is so much to learn and you really need or listen to your body. Everyone's story is different.

I hope the meds work for you with little discomfort.

scottsma

I have had some sort of spot/pimple under my eye for over a year.It disappeared quite quickly while I was on pred.but alas soon reappeared when I finished the course.
I took an over the counter sleeping aid to counteract the insomnia,which worked for me.