• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New

Hi, I'm new to this and very afraid . Found out I have Crohn's 5 weeks ago. Had an operation to remove part of my large intestine. Since then i don't know what to do i'm always tired, going to the bathroom is different every day, At 59 this is so hard to handle. Any one that has had this operation, can you let me know how long it takes to feel better.:sign0085:

Welcome! This is a great forum to get support and talk to people who "get it". I would recommend checking out our surgery section for more info on recovery time.

Welcome to the forum!

5 weeks is still early in terms of recovery after a bowel resection and your bowel has likely got a lot more adapting to do. So don't think that the way your bowel is working now is how it will always be. Things should still settle down a lot. There may be big improvements in the next few weeks, but your bowel can continue to adapt to its new configuration over the coming months too.

It can take quite a while to get over the fatigue that results from having a surgery like this and the time to get over that varies from person to person but some find it can be several months until their energy levels get back to normal. Hang in there!

Have you had a follow up appointment with your surgeon? And are you starting any Crohn's medications?

There are so many people here on the forum who have been through this - surgery and the early stages of diagnosis - and there is a wealth of advice and experience as well as support to be found here. :ghug:

You're most likely better off without that bit of intestine. I have no colon left and have had some small intestine removed too. It's much better missing some than having diseased intestine. Doctors seem to often say it takes six to eight weeks to recover from fairly straightforward resection surgeries (along with many other surgeries), but things can change; before my last surgery the surgeon told me I shouldn't expect to leave hospital for a few months, but I surprised her and was home in four weeks. The mental adjustment may be more important than physical improvements for you at this stage. Reading this forum may help with that, as you'll see how others live with this disease. Are you eating and sleeping well, and do you have any pain? These kinds of things can affect your energy levels.