• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Cleaning setons

I have had setons for over a year now. Taking a bath 3 plus times a day after using the bathroom is getting pretty annoying and inconvenient. If I don't do it then everything aches and feels gross all day. I tried just doing sitz baths but I just feel like those are even more gross to clean. The bath always seemed easier because it drains out and then I can clean it. do any of you have suggestions? For those of you who use sitz baths on the toilet, how do you clean them? And what do you do when you aren't at home? I just pretty much stay home as much as possible. I try cleaning with baby wipes but I use so many and don't get that clean.

I bought a sitz bath initially. It was one of the over the counter treatments I tried along with calmoseptine. Trying to sit on that thing was a bit ridiculous. Neither of which seemed to have any benefit whatsoever so I quickly gave up on them.

I did take a lot of hot baths (sometimes more than once a day) with epsom salts because they're so relaxing. I must admit that was unnecessary, but really more for my nerves/stress.

I got to a point where I didn't worry too much about my fistula's/seton's cleanliness. I just used wet wipes after bowel movements and cleaned up the best I could once a day when I showered. Female sanitary pads to absorb the draining in my undergarments. I never had any sort of infection so from my experience I wouldn't be too concerned about keeping things perfectly sanitized.

I had my 2 setons since november 2013, my issues right now is the skin around the setons are so itchy itchy. Sitz bath, calmoseptine, coconut oil works only for an hour or so, then its back to unbearable itching again. Anyone had the same experience? How did you relieve the itch?

@elizajp for outside the house I use a squirt bottle to clean the area. Sometimes it just makes me feel better having a cold water splash on the area.

@droopymonthly they told me the same thing. Remicade worked on closing it for a little while but then I developed antibodies. They switched me to Humira which gave me psoriasis. I think those drugs can work wonders-- but they don't always work, have lots of side effects and risks, and most of all, I know for certain that they are not the only way to heal a fistula. To heal a fistula you must get your general gut inflammation under control. There are lots of ways to do this-- diet, alternative treatments, or drugs like Remicade. But the drugs are not the only option despite what the doctors say. I have lived with my setons for over a year. They are driving me crazy and healing is taking forever, but they are healing, and without drugs.

@droopymonthly my doctor is talking about surgery. But being undiagnosed, with Crohns but showing symptoms like this fistulas, I am kind of scared of going under the knife because the healing is much more complicated if I do have Crohns. With the setons in, it will definitely not close my fistulas but it should prevent infections or abscess. I am having a hard time with the itchiness right now, drives me crazy.

@droopymonthly they told me the same thing. Remicade worked on closing it for a little while but then I developed antibodies. They switched me to Humira which gave me psoriasis.
Psoriasis is deemed an autoimmune disease. There is no way Humira gave you psorasis. There is an association however with psoriasis and leaky gut, and bacterial/fungal overgrowth. Good chance that your psoriasis is caused by systemic candida overgrowth.

I would recommend you switch to a low FODMAP/autoimmune protocol diet and incorporate probiotics/prebiotics to correct your dysbiosis and leaky gut.

I recommend all of you have a look at my thread in this forum on the progress I've made with healing through nutrition and supplementation. I have to update my progress and theories soon in my original post. It's all a constant work in progress :ybiggrin: