• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Pregnancy and crohns

I'm just curious, is it really that difficult to conceive if you have crohns disease? I'm no where near ready to have a child but would like to with in the next few years. This is really a concern and a huge stresser for me. I keep reading that it's almost impossible for a woman with crohns to have a baby and if they do that the pregnancy is horrible. Can some one please she'd some light on this for me?

My GI said 1/3 feel better when pregnant, 1/3 feel worse, 1/3 stay the same.

I myself have not been able to get pregnant after years of trying. We saw a fertility Dr and had all kinds of tests. The only issue between us both is I have old eggs (they are older/in worse shape than other women my age).

It is possible and many have great pregnancies. Don't stress about it...stress is no good for fertility either.

Thank you for the advise... I really try not to stress it, as I said I'm no where near ready for a baby, but reading can be a dangerous thing lol. You wouldn't believe how many articles there are about this.

I was stressed about this too. However, I got pregnant on month 2 of trying, which is extremely quickly. For a normal healthy couple, getting pregnant within 12 months in considered normal, and in under 6 months is "quick".
My pregnancy was normal, uncomplicated and my baby was born at full term. Crohn's was in remission when I fell pregnant, I stayed in remission the whole pregnancy, and I felt great during the second part of the pregnancy especially.

Don't worry about it unless you have to. :)