• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

How do I recognize a fistula?

Hello everyone
So 3 months ago I had a perianal abscess.. I discovered it a bit late.. I had pain but only noticed the lump a few days after and I went to see a surgeon who asked me to come the next morning and drain it at the ER but that morning the abscess burst on its own so I didn't go to the doctor but I started antibiotics (ciprofloxacin) and then I was good

But A week ago i noticed a small painful lump that was close BUT NOT in the exact same place of the previous one.. It was a bit further towards the inside.. The first was a bit on the exterior away from the anus by a few centimeters but this was closer although on the same side..

Does that mean I have a fistula or usually a fistula will make an abscess at the same exact location?

I remember i wasnt so well cleaned after a bowel movement..i noticed the next day after that movement.. And later that night i suppose i felt that painful lump (the 2nd abscess) Could this be a reason for an abscess formation? Or I should suspect a fistula?

One more important note i am not diagnosed with Crohn's but I used this forum because O know such symptoms occur alot for those who has got Crohn's

I don't remember any symptoms when my fistula developed. I was having a flare-up and it wouldn't respond to medicine. When they investigated further they found the fistula with ct scan. I have had flare-ups before and there weren't any symptoms I hadn't experienced.

The key thing is "stitch in time saves nine". Don't wait for help if having any serious issues. I waited too long and I think that contributed to fistulas.