• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Return to Work Support Group

Hi everyone. I work for an award-winning, for-profit company. The culture is fast-paced, which keeps keeping most of us on the edge of our seats. Although we work hard, we also play hard. I started there 10 months ago and enjoy the work and the people.

I had been on Remicade for 8 years when I started to feel odd. My trough levels revealed that I had toxic levels of the drug in my system. We immediately changed my dosing schedule from 4 weeks to 8. After six months, I began to feel ill between infusions. We tested my trough levels, which were low. Month after month I reported my declining status to the GI nurse--(my GI was away). I dragged myself to work, which was very difficult. I became withdrawn due to the fatigue. I periodically needed to take a day or two off work in between infusions. I explained my medical situation as one in which I didn't have the correct amount of medication in my system, which caused symptoms. My manager has been very supportive.

3 weeks ago, I collapsed and ended up in hospital. On the ward, I was given a loading dose of Remicade and was started on Methotrexate. I responded well to the Remicade,but have experienced substantial side effects from Methotrexate. My manager and I have spoken--understandably, he would like to see a sustainable return to work. My GI has said the nasty Methotrexate side effects should abate in 6-8 weeks. My manager does not want to see me return to work with headaches and nausea.

I feel as though I have let the company down and would like to return to work right away. I know, however, that I am experiencing ups and downs each week because of the Metho. In addition, I don't yet know whether I'll be needing another reloading dose of the Remicade 3 weeks from now.

We know that people with IBD don't often feel 100%. But how does one make the decision about returning to work when knowing we rarely feel 100%. Maybe I could try working from home a couple half-days per week (AFTER my next Methotrexate dose) Maybe I should wait until I my response to Methotrexate is more favourable?

Would appreciate hearing from others who have been faced with making this type of decision.

Lynda Lynda

It's unfortunate this thread did not progress. I hope a similar thread had better luck. I couldn't work any longer after a 24 year career with the same company. I have not worked since 2009.

Last edited:
I had surgery eight years ago . Aftrr that it was hard commuting ever day . I have not actually done anything but it might be good financially if I returned to work