• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Can u do sports and be on 6MP or imuran?

Hi

Maybe i will be on Imuran or 6MP of humira..
This will compromise the immune system.
I know i can get faster a cold and be sick longer.
But do u have enough energy to do sports?

is physical well being there if u are on AZA or 6MP?
Can u run and do sports while on these meds?
Immune system is suppressed but thats something diffrent then the physical energy right?

Maybe because the GI tract can absorb foods better and crohn isnt active.. u feel better.. so u will be more capable of doing sports?

Is this correct?
I only willing to go on suppressors if I can maintain sports.

greets

Catherine

My daughter did competitve swimming on aza.

Actually she has less illness on the aza. The whole family was healthy with her not bringing home every cold virus.

Normally you don't get more illness but when you do get an illness it can last longer. Only two colds in 3 years.

Last edited:
I have a few friends on Imuran and both run half marathons and do great! While it does suppress the immune system, it should not affect your ability to be active, and being active can help keep you healthier!

Aza never effected my ability to do sports or be active. If anything I was able to do more because I was healthier in general. Hopefully its the same for you. =)

hawkeye

Staff member
I had good success with Inuran, it kept me in remission for quite a while> I did not notice that I had less energy or was tired more,

As for getting sick more often, I didn't notice that either, it was the standard 1 or 2 colds/year - the same if I wasn't on Imuran.