• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Sudden redness 5 days after injection

I've had my first 4 injections 5 days ago. I was about to go to sleep when I noticed that on one of the injection sites I developed a red, slightly swallen spot. I was expecting some bruising right after but didn't have anything. Did anyone else have that? I'm a little worried that I didn't disinfect properly or did sth wrong otherwise :confused2:

I have been on Humira for a few years. After my first injections, I did have swelling at injection site for up to a week after. This reaction did mellow after I had been taking the medicine for a longer period of time...I think it took about a year before the swelling was only a day or 2 after instead of a week. Sometimes my swelling was very bad (as large as an orange) and sometimes it can be as small as a grape...but it is normal and nothing to worry about. Oh, and yes it does itch like crazy...but if you scratch too much you bruise so try not to scratch if you can somehow manage it.

Hi A ja. Did the swelling happen immediately after the injection? If so, it could simply be the humira pooling under your skin. This happens to me commonly after injection, and goes away quickly. If it is that, it is nothing to be concerned about.

I usually get a red spot that itches and burns kind of like a jelly fish sting. It usually swells a little bit and can last one day or several days. Benadryl cream helps some.

You reaction sounds typical, but tell your doctor if it's really bothering you.