• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Unspecified Colitis Support

Hi everyone,

Over the past couple of months, I've been having stomach problems and have undergone a battery of tests as the doctors have tried to diagnose exactly what's going on.

This morning, I went to the hospital for a flexible sigmoidoscopy and, whilst there, the doctors confirmed that I have colitis - they just need to wait for the results from the biopsies that they took to close in on what type of colitis it is.

I genuinely thought that I would be relieved when I finally got a diagnosis as I could be on track to treatment. Instead, I left the hospital with a bagful of medication and the overwhelming urge to cry, which hasn't left me yet.

I was just wondering how everyone here copes with their condition. I honestly feel like I'm anchored to medication and I'm feeling so disgusting and stifled with this condition. Is this normal? Does anyone have any tips to help?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi Girl123 I am sorry to hear you are having such a hard time. This disease can be hard to diagnose a times, but whether it's Crohn's, UC, or indeterminate colitis the treatments are similar. Seems everyone is put on some meds and then they change the meds if they don't work. I get frustrated with having to take meds all the time as well. Hopefully they will help you. I have been on some that worked great and others that made things worse.

Depression seems common to the disease...I believe it has a lot to do with chronic pain. I was on meds for that as we for a while to help cope.

For me this forum was a great help. I just looked through tons of posts, new and old. It helped to hear from others with the same disease. Finally people that knew what I was going through. Also, information helps me feel more in control...like I know what to expect or what I'm dealing with. My GI told me not to Google stuff online, yeah right. Yes some info is scary, but better knowing than being blindsided. At least that's how I feel.

I hope you feel better about it all and get the results you need from your tests. Find little ways to treat yourself...a movie you like, new pajamas, paint your nails. All silly little things, but they would brighten my day.

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
Hi and welcome! Yes, it does come as a shock when you finally get diagnosed and find out that there is really something wrong with you. Especially when you first come home with all those medications and directions. It will take time to adjust.

But, we're here for support and information of experiences along the way. Please feel free to ask. I hope to see you around.

Thank you, both. Your words and support mean a lot.

I feel a little bit better this morning about the whole thing, which is something. I guess it came as a bit of a shock that there would be so much medication and limitations on my diet. Like you said, it's probably going to take me some time to adjust to it all, but knowing that there's a forum like this about is really helpful, so thank you again.