• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New to Crohns forum community

Hi all,

My name is Sonia and I am certainly far from new to the 'world' of Crohns disease being a 15-year suffer.
I have been meaning to become a part of this community for some time and tonight, after a routine colonoscopy, I decided this was the time.

I was first diagnosed with Crohns at the age of 11, with the normal symptoms of huge weight loss; sever abdominal pains, and diarrhoea but no bleeding. It was months until they found and correctly diagnosed what the problem was.

After many years of living on and off steroids and anti-inflammatory medications and being in and out of hospital, I simply (in my opinion) began to grow up.

Once I turned 18 I began to get serious with my disease, watched everything I ate, exercise constantly, seeked other opinions over western medicine and made a personal choice to not let this disease over come me.

During this time I was completely of my meds (salazopyrin) and was doing incredible well, in fact my doctor was often surprised with how I was and the tests results. At 22 (I think) I had my first ever operation and had my gall bladder with gall stones removed as this was causing my problems. I recovered perfectly from this op with no issues with my Crohns.

Up until now I have been stable, but this year has made me worry. 3 months ago I found my first anal abscess, this sent me in a panic. First thing that came to my mind was cancer. I still have the abscess and I am on medication for this as the doctor is reluctant to operate as it can cause complications with the sphincter, so fingers crossed that these meds will get rid of my abscess completely.
Also today, I had my routine 2 year colonoscopy, which all you know is a nightmare, anyway I was told for the first time they found polyps (which they removed) and advised me that I have to start me meds again, which has really concerned me.

I can't understand how I can feel great, be so careful and then have these problems. I was so mad, and now I’m worried I could have cancer.

Can anyone share some advice with me on his or her experiences and how I could get back on track?? Is there anything i should be doing or tips in regards to my anal absess or the removal of the polyps. Just to be clear, I have never had any surgery related directly with my Crohns, so no removable of bowel etc.

Thanks for hearing my story and i hope that we can help each other with our experiences.

Sonia

Hi

I've had two surgeries for a perianal abscess turned fistula. The issue with excising an abscess is that the sphincter should not be cut else you can become incontinent. What they usually do here in the UK is 'deroof' the abscess and fit a seton to allow everything to drain and eventually heal properly. They can then glue the resulting hopefully small tract with fibrin glue to seal it and prevent re-contamination of the tissue.

Anyway, Welcome!

Hi Beth,

Thanks for the reply, thats what im assuming has to be done.
How painful was the procedure? and how bad was the drainage part?? did it take a while?? I hate the idea of having something stuck in me, especailly in that area.

There's no ther way around it is there?? Im trying everything i can think of and it gets really small but doesnt completely go. I've been doing salt water baths 3 times a day and it has been draining and im on Simplotan. I just want to get rid of it.

Thanks again

fenway1971

Sports Crohnie
Hi Sonia,
I wish I had advice to offer. But, welcome to the thread. You'll find helpful resources and old threads that might answer your questions.

Welcome!

Hi guys,
Thanks for the welcome and sorry for the late reply.
Shantel, i have no idea what my doc intention is, he was very brief in what he said and i've never had polyps before. I'm assuming that there was active inflammation (due to prep for the colonoscopy) because ever since then I haven't felt myself. No stomach pains at all but, loose bowel movements that i'm slowly bringing back to what they once were. Thats one thing that i hate about the colonoscopy, is that it inflames my bowel which before had no problem.

Thanks for the advice
Sonia