• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

How often do those with a stoma go to the bathroom from the 'normal' end?

So I was diagnosed with Crohn's about 10 years ago and at the beginning I would accidentally poo myself in public quite a lot and just generally go to the bathroom many many times a day, and it didn't get better so then about 7 years ago I had surgery to get an ileostomy. Since then I've had lots of mini flare ups, but even on my good days I still usually poo from my normal end and sometimes it's even uncontrollable....

Recently (coincidentally as the weather's been getting warmer, which is usually a trigger for me anyway) this has got much worse, and I'm going to the bathroom 5-10 times a day again and have accidentally pooed myself in public about 10 times this past month!! I have a stoma bag, so i really shouldn't have to be dealing with all this still!

Has this happened to anyone else? How often do those of you with a stoma do a 'normal' poo?

You must have a loop ileostomy. The only time I have actually passed stool rectally was when I woke up with a bag so fll of air that it was about to pop off my belly. The pressure was so high that it pushed a tiny bit of stool into the inactive side of my loop ileo. This has happened to me twice and it did hurt A LOT when the stool passed, even though it was liquid and mixed with mucus.

However, I do pass mucus several times a day rectally. It is painless for me and I have control of passing or not passing it (no accidents).

We have one member who passed stool from both ends because his stoma had retracted into his abdomen and the stoma opening was beginning to close up on its own. It was really bizarre.

What has your doctor said about your situation?

Never. I have an end now, but I never went to the bathroom in the normal way with my loop either.... until my stoma retracted, then I had a normal bowel movement, and quickly got surgery to correct the stoma.

I'm not sure if 2thFairy was talking about my retraction as I'm female.

I would be devastated if I was still passing anything from my rectum, and I'm very glad that now with an end ileostomy, although my rectum is still there, it is not connected to the rest of my digestive system and can't pass stool, mucus, gas, blood or anything else.

I think you should see your surgeon, especially if your stoma is to be permanent, it could be changed to an end ileostomy and your rectum disconnected.

Last edited:

fuzzy butterfly

Hi sparkles. Im Mandy, i had a loop ileostomy for a year, in that time i had around 6-8 little yellowy poops. My ibd nurse said this was normal, as it was probably stool that was already in my bowel system pre-op. This can happen all time i think, but if
you haven't already check with your ibd nurse or doc, as it seems to be a lot of times to me !! Best wishes.

I have an Total colectomy and end ileostomy, I have Crohn's, and sometimes have to dash to the loo to get rid of all the mucus or whatever, I can`t hold it in and it comes on suddenly.

I notice too that if I eat a lot, I get feelings like I have to go, maybe that`s what they call phantom, Not sure as it`s all relatively new to me.

fuzzy butterfly

Hi ye i used to get the phantom feelings now and then too. I also have crohn's and before n after the ileostomy i would have to rush to the loo . My control is getting better but not much.as of yet. Mine was a loop not an end one so i may not be much help there. But if you have'nt already check the crohns and colitis web site. Just type in crohns n colitis. There is lots if great info there. Or as i mentioned your ibd nurse should be able to help with more info as they cover all types of ostomies. I hope iv been able to help a little. Im here if you have any more questions or even a moan. Iv been through hell and back with my crohns so i know how hard it can be !! Best wishes mandy