• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Does digested food in stool mean you should avoid that food?

I can't seem to get a direct answer to this question. Does undigested food in your stool mean that you are intolerant of that food?? I've been trying a paleo-ish diet for a few weeks now and seems like everything I eat comes out looking the same as it did when it went it. Does this mean my body is not breaking down the food and getting nutrients? I am beyond fatigued everyday (long before starting paleo) and I am wondering if I have a problem with getting nutrients into my body?? Thoughts?

It might be a good idea to start an elimination diet and look at the foods you are seeing.

The first food I ever eliminated was red peppers because i saw them undigested in my stool and at the time it was pretty much my only trigger, I felt much better after I cut them out.

I can't seem to get a direct answer to this question. Does undigested food in your stool mean that you are intolerant of that food??
It could mean that. Perhaps do some elimination tests or have a food allergy test to know for sure.

But it could be a number of other issues too.

Could be just change of diet as changing your diet can be a shock to the body, and it can take some weeks to get back into sync. I changed from a meat based diet to a vegan one some years back, and I swear it took around three months to adjust.

Are you chewing your food correctly before swallowing? You are "meant" to chew each mouthful to mush:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/07/31/chewing-foods.aspx

If everything is coming out as it went in, I think you should get checked out for some underlining issue. I would expect somethings to come out whole; but certainly not everything. That does not sound good at all.

The only food I get this with is corn cobs. But I do get it a lot with supplements in a capsule too.

If it comes out as it goes in, then you are certainly not absorbing nutrients from the food. Maybe the bulky fibre is too much for your body to handle. Maybe try getting some nutrients from bone broths, smoothies or juices instead. Because both of these are blended or juiced prior to eating, any nutrients they contain, will actually be absorbed quite quickly after entering your body. Or maybe a supplement like spirulina.

If you are beyond fatigued everyday then trying to digest food on top of that; will be an uphill battle for you. It takes energy for your body to digest food, especially heavy meals or rich meals or meat or gluten or overeating, and if you are already in weakened state it will make things worse. So prehaps look into taking a week off to rest and do a fluid diet only. Lots of water, herbal teas, juices and bone broths. You will get the nutrients you need whilst letting your digestion take a rest. Which will help with your energy. Please see a naturopath or nutritional medicine doctor about this for guidance.

To help improve my energy levels. I have UC and work full time in a demanding job and need all the help I can get! So I have recently started to take organic Moringa oleifera powder. They use it in Africa to restore health to malnourished children.

Have a look at this short YouTube clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9Ue8Yc3vfw

What is a paleo-ish diet? How ISH is it exactly?

I don't really believe that consistency / how chewed a food is matters at the core of IBD.

If you have an ulcerated / inflamed gut it may be uncomfortable to digest unchewed food, but if you're not digesting it at all that's a failure in your digestive system's ability to process the chemistry of the food and no blender is going to fix that. We have enough powerful digestive processes that if it makes it from start to finish as is, the problem is far beyond chewing.

Lady Organic

Staff member
masticating in mouth not only avoid unnecessary work for the stomach to break down particules, but also increases amount of saliva (filled with difgestive enzyme) which is precious in facilitating digestion and absorption of nutrients.

I've noticed this too - green or red peppers and lettuce/salad. Its super gross, and I've been trying to avoid both over the last few months with varying success.

On a personal level, I've never seen the taste point in peppers, they are tough to chew on the exterior and not really any softer on the inside. The only way I seem able to digest them is when they are grilled and the skin is removed.

From a fiber perspective, I try to edge more towards soluable fiber foods which is what alot of IBS peeps do. In general I stay out of the raw vegetables area, unless they are in a smoothie/shake format.

But yes, digestion starts with mastication so chew well first, and if it still cannot be digested then eliminate for a while