• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Green propolis modulates gut microbiota, reduces endotoxemia and expression of TLR4 pathway in mice fed a high-fat diet

I though someone here might appreciate this.

Green propolis modulates gut microbiota, reduces endotoxemia and expression of TLR4 pathway in mice fed a high-fat diet

Abstract
Due to the various beneficial effects attributed to propolis, which include anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial infection properties, the objective of the study was to evaluate the effect of propolis supplementation on the composition of the intestinal microbiota and its anti-inflammatory action. Forty male C57BL/6 mice were fed either a standard diet (control), a high-fat (HF) diet, or a high-fat diet supplemented with 0.2% crude propolis (HFP) for 2 or 5 weeks prior to sacrifice. Blood samples were collected for the determination of lipopolysaccharide (LPS) and classical biochemical parameters. Expression of the TLR4 pathway in muscle, and DNA sequencing for the 16S rRNA of the gut microbiota were performed. The HF diet increased the proportion of the phylum Firmicutes and inflammatory biomarkers, while supplementation with propolis for five weeks rendered the microbiota profile nearly normal. Consistently with the above, the supplementation reduced levels of circulating LPS and down-regulated the TLR4 pathway and inflammatory cytokine expressions in muscle. Moreover, propolis improved such biochemical parameters as serum triacylglycerols and glucose levels. The data suggest that propolis supplementation reduces inflammatory response and endotoxemia by preventing dysbiosis in mice challenged with a high-fat diet.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0963996915301149

Interesting. I actually read about bee propolis elsewhere, Idk how similar it is. I have a bottle sitting at home I've hardly touched.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-green-propolis.htm

0.2% of total food intake? that would translate into about which quantity for humans?
Napkin math, a tablespoon of bee pollen can be 15-45 calories.

Let's low ball, 15 calories. That makes 1 tbsp 0.01% of a 2000 calorie diet.

So 2 tablespoons assuming pollen / propolis are interchangeable.

It might not be interchangeable though, I've only found calorie labels on a few brands and they might be suspended in honey which would account for the calories, but 2 tbsp of this stuff is kind of a lot considering what it usually costs.

Napkin math, a tablespoon of bee pollen can be 15-45 calories.

Let's low ball, 15 calories. That makes 1 tbsp 0.01% of a 2000 calorie diet.

So 2 tablespoons assuming pollen / propolis are interchangeable.

It might not be interchangeable though, I've only found calorie labels on a few brands and they might be suspended in honey which would account for the calories, but 2 tbsp of this stuff is kind of a lot considering what it usually costs.
I'm wondering if its by weight? not calories.