Crohn's Disease Forum » Pregnancy, Trying to Conceive & Breast Feeding with IBD » Crohn's with past fistula possible c section

08-14-2015, 10:18 AM   #1
Jade0110

Crohn's with past fistula possible c section

hello everyone,
I am currently 24 weeks pregnant and had consulted with my ob that I should have a c section due to my past history of having a fistula in 2012, which is now healed. I'm starting to reconsider and would like to avoid having surgery if possible. I am on Humira and in remission (as I just had a colonoscopy in March). Most of my Crohns effects my rectum though and I will be seeing my gastroenterologist in a couple weeks to see how he feels about the possibility of vaginal birth. Anyone else with any similar experiences?
Thanks!
08-15-2015, 06:10 PM   #2
lgpcarter

My Support Groups:
I have similar experience. I have perianal disease with fistulas and was able to have a vaginal birth. I actually had a great pregnancy and fairly easy delivery. I had a high risk OB who was familiar with IBD. My GI also agreed that a vaginal delivery was fine.

I was VERY afraid of tearing and aggravating things, but had no trouble, and only a very slight tear up the front.

I would like speak to your OB, explain that you would like to try for a vaginal delivery and see what they say.

Seton placement (2) and fistulotomy December 2013. Setons removed July 2014. 3 more setons June 2018.

Laparoscopic Right Hemicolectomy July 2016, 25 cms removed

Current meds: Humira, Entyvio every 4 weeks, Levofloxacin 750 mg, Vitamin D

Previously: Remicade, Simponi, Pentasa, Sulphasalazine, Entocort, Stelara, Methotrexate, Prednisone, Imuran

Crohn's Disease Forum » Pregnancy, Trying to Conceive & Breast Feeding with IBD » Crohn's with past fistula possible c section