• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Doctor is misrepresenting me

Deep breath... This is a long one. ((Ranting begins))

I'm so fed up with my PCP doctor. I'm trying to apply for disability due to the Crohn's, extreme fatigue (sleeping minimum of 10 hours a day plus frequent naps), depression and migraines. I go to him seeking a letter for my SSDI application, and he says that disability is only for people missing their arms and legs. He then proceeds to berate me for giving up. I'm not giving up! I'm trying to live with this body. So, he gives me Ritalin to help with the fatigue. Within a week I was almost passing out with low blood pressure/high pulse. I visit him again, and he tells me he doesn't have anymore options for me. When I ask about what I'm supposed to do about the problem (ie not being able to work enough to support myself), he tells me to find a new PCP.

Today I got my chart note from the last visit. He states that I am not interested in alternate treatments, am just looking for money, and that I said I am going to get a new PCP. WTF?!!!?!!!!! He twisted the whole visit to make me look bad. I'm so mad. I already have a complaint with my insurance company and will be calling them with this new info tomorrow.

I feel like the whole medical world is against me right now.

(End rant)

Oh my gosh, that is so horrible!!! I'm so sorry, he sounds like a complete jerk. It's sad that some doctors completely lack empathy.

fuzzy butterfly

First you need a new PCP. Then google search the topic yourself. There's a ton of info out there. Educate yourself. Knowledge is power.
I agree with Om3ga 1.re her msg ....what a plonker, you are better off without that kind of help, :ymad: why is that when your genuinely sick you get treated like some kind of blagger/ time wasting loon, its a disgrace !!!

Yeah I know I need a new PCP, but currently where I live and with public health insurance, there are no PCPs accepting new patients. My choices are to not have a doctor (and thus be seen only by urgent care/ER) and wait 4-6 months for a new PCP or to stick it out and hope my doc is busy so I can see different doctors in the same clinic. But, I'm meeting with a disability advocate as soon as I can get my rear off the potty. Fingers crossed they can help me fight this.

fuzzy butterfly

Yeah I know I need a new PCP, but currently where I live and with public health insurance, there are no PCPs accepting new patients. My choices are to not have a doctor (and thus be seen only by urgent care/ER) and wait 4-6 months for a new PCP or to stick it out and hope my doc is busy so I can see different doctors in the same clinic. But, I'm meeting with a disability advocate as soon as I can get my rear off the potty. Fingers crossed they can help me fight this.
my fingers are crossed to, best wishes and good luck :rosette1:

Is it possible just to speak with another physician at the same clinic like you stated instead of hoping your pcp is "too busy" and I would file a complaint with your provider as well as the hr department for said clinic. That is utter bs. I went in to speak to painanagement as I was in a really hard situation, and after being completely open and honest with this doc, he basically went through what he could and could not do for me, and basically said there was no way he could write me a script for the amount of meds I was on, all the while, he never not once made eye contact, with me or my mother, and even moved the computer screen on those mobile chart things so that he could block my mothers line of sight to his face, and then at the end of the consult, as he was leaving the room, he stopped, and proceeded to talk to us while facing out toward the hallway with a sort of , i know you probably arent going to want to gollow up or sign the contract cuz i ddint give you what u wanted attitude. What he should have told me was that he didnt feel comfortable, cuz there are no lomitations eapecially javing 5+yrs of documented chronic pain. We went right from his visit to the hr dept to file a greivance. Dunno if it actually helped me or hurt me but my situation is quite different.
Knowledge is def power and the better you wducate yourself to your rights the more powerful and better advocate you can be for yourself. Good luck

afidz

Super Moderator
I would talk to a lawyer to be honest. He is preventing you from getting the care you need. Ritalin is not meant to combat fatigue. It's for add. He is knowingly help you unknowingly misuse and abuse a drug that you (as far as I know) have no business taking. Disability is not just for people that are missing limbs. Don't let him discourage you. I hope you can find a new doctor. You might have to travel to find one but I wouldn't trust that asshat for anything in the world. And I wouldn't take the Ritalin unless you have add or adhd. It is one of the most abused drugs out there next to pain pills

You bring up really good points which reminds me, I wouldnt go back that asshat (sorry i stole that, i liked it), as your life depends on getting proper treatment and not getting lied to because someasshat has no clue to what he is saying, yet he has no problem taking the money from your insurance. By the way, if possible i would do one of two things if not both, 1.bring someone with you if you must continue to see this jackass, 2. Keep a record of the date/time/and occurrence that had taken place as it seems he has no problem misrepresenting what is actually taking place. Just my .02