• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New to Crohn's--losing weight too fast, help!

hi everyone! First let me tell you that I joined this because I have been desperately looking for ways to be able to eat, keep it down & gain weight. I am only 4'10"" & I weigh 95 lbs right now. That may not seem bad but it is when you consider I have lost 59lb in less tan a year. I had gotten down to 88 lb in 2010 & I looked like a haggard, old boney lady & I hated myself! I finally went into remission for awhile (I guess!) & managed to gain to 145 lb. I felt terrific, looked like a sweet little old "Mimi" should look & everyone said I looked so healthy! This was all before I as diagnosed. Then the D started back with a vengeance this year. I went into the hospital in 2013 for severe stomach cramps, ended up with double pneumonia & spinal meningitis. I was extremely sick & on death's door according to the Drs.--they didn't think I would make it. Anyway, all during this time I was still dealing with the D in a big way. Do any of you know how painful it is when they use a wipe on your sensitive little butt & your allergic to it??!!! Ouch! I had huge blisters all over my private parts, on my belly. I cried every time they had to clean me up because the pain was so bad. They sent me home still undiagnosed about the D , which I still had. So okay, since that time I have continually been in a flare. It is so bad I can't hardly eat anything without ne throwing up or having D. I have a very good GI DR but he broke his hip & won't be back till Nov. I can't go on this way so tomorrow I'm calling his PA To see what we can do. All of your posts I have read has helped encourage me & I will try the foods talked about to see if it helps. Thanks for listening!

I don't really know how to respond to your message, but I hope that the PA for your GI can provide some help and answers that you are seeking. Good luck with your appointment and I am sure others will be along with some suggestions.

Hi Gracie
I know that weight problem.

While I wasnt getting any help from the doctors I also used this forum to find out what I could do to help myself. I also tried to listen to my body. It seemed so drastic but I cut out sugar as much as possible, plus all dairy products, and gluten, and raw fruit/vegetables, and anything high fibre. It did not leave much to eat but I believe it has really helped me. I also notice that my probiotic capsules help. If I don't take one then the next day I need the bathroom more often.

I really hope you can help yourself at least a little bit. It is such a slow process but don't give up! I hope you get to see your doctor and that he can help you too.

Sorry, forgot to say, I do not recommend my diet to anyone else, it is the one that suits me!
I meant that the forum is great for getting ideas and helpful hints and I hope you can find some tips that can help you.

The only thing that helped me stop my one year long diarrhoea was to take small bits of fresh garlic in the middle of the meal and to chew them thoroughly. I avoid chocolate because I made two vagal épisodes after eating too much of it and I know I have difficulties digesting nuts and sugar-loaded sodas. I avoid alcohol and quit smoking as well. SInce then, I'm in remission and tapering off corticoids. Hope it will continue without medication.
Bye
Jacques

Hi GracieLou,
I had a smiliar problem with the rapid weight loss when I was first getting sick. I has no idea what it was so I continued to eat the same stuff and take workout supplements and it only exacerbated the problems. I would suggest for you the same foods I ate when in flare and was finally able to cope with it. Here lies the problem though... you need to stop the inflammation because that is whats causing all the horrible symptoms.
My food suggestions is:
Morning-
High quality and mostly plain yogurt like chobani, eggs, rice cereal with little to no sugar in it and almond milk or coconut milk.
Night- SALMON! The most antiinflammatory food there is. Any variety of potatoes are great with it also. Especially purple potatoes. Rice is good too.
So basically the diet is a low fiber low residue diet. Look it up online for more ideas. This diet helped me tremendously. I also have to note though that I took off work, went all organic, worked out regularly to help with inflammation, smoked and ate marijuana for appetite and pain, and did A LOT of research. It pretty much took over my life for a couple of years. But im glad I did it now because after all that hard work I tapered down my prednisone from extremely high doses all the way down to ZERO after 2 years. Tapered down my immune suppressor pills from highest dose down to ZERO. And I am currently taking Humira at half the recommended dose and tapering down from the original double shot and every 2 weeks. I gained 35+ pounds of lean muscle and body weight and I am in very good shape for my age (31).
I went to the extreme to beat this but I would just like to tell you Marie that it is a long process. Just be happy and grateful for everyday that you are able to smile and be with your loved ones. I almost died. My doctor told me my case was very bad and he has been an excellent GI for 40+ years. He is still in awe everytime he sees me for 6-9 month follow ups.
You can do it too, I promise! Change your life, dont let the disease change it for you.