• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Just introducing myself

Hello.
My name is Erin. I am 26. I have had Crohn's disease since sep 2009. I was originally diagnosed on the background of 3months of chronic diarrheoa and severe weight loss. Since then I have had 2 hospital admissions for RLQ pain. My current meds are purinethol, humira and ciprofloxacin.

In October last year I developed an painful lump an inch away from my anus. After multiple Dr visits, observing it, antibiotics and an MRI - I have a perianal fistula but there was no abscess. I was commenced on Humira and at this stage I quit smoking successfully for the first time. The fistula healed and I had 6months of remission.

I had a stressful month in August and began smoking again - the fistula opened up again and came back with a vengeance. (I have since quit again and am 24days quit). I have taken flagyl, doxycycline and now ciprofloxacin with no help. I continue on the Humira. I now have a severe abscess and am unable to walk or sit properly. I am taking endone and panedeine but these only take the edge off. I have another pelvic/abdo MRI booked for a few weeks time.

I see a colorectal surgeon tomorrow and will most likely have the abscess drained and seton put in.

The last 12months have been difficult emotionally. I think previously I never really grasped the implication of a "crohn's diagnosis". I thought "a bit of diarrheoa/pain - I can cope with that". It is only now dawning on me how terrible this disease is and how it will impact on my whole life. To be perfectly honest I am a little bit terrified.

Hi Erin. Sorry for all you are going through.
I think we all have that moment when we realize how deep this can impact our lives, and it is a scary realization. For myself, it was my first bowel resection and the horrible months that led up to that.
But, I think once you come to that point, you may be able to refocus your energy on trying to do what you can to be as healthy as you can. That can mean differenct things for different people (ie quitting smoking). For me, after about 15 years of battling, I finally got serious about diet. The paleo diet has really helped my day to day symptoms.
Good luck at your appointment, keep us posted.

fuzzy butterfly

:welcome: Erin, hope things work out for you n you get some relief.. unfortunately crohn's can have a big impact on your life, but there are things you can do to help make it somewhat easier, like the giving up smoking one, which i did after a re-section (18mth's now) and diet can help a lot, it is a bit of trail n error of what will work for you..
just try n keep as positive as you can n try not to let it rule your life, fight to keep it at bay as much as you can, never be afraid to ask or demand if need be help from the medic's..
we are always here for help, support n advice if want it hun.. wishing you well n best wishes..:ghug:

Erin I can totally relate. I was diagnosed with Crohn's in 2001 but really didn't have too many issues. I took meds some times, but at other times I just controlled it with diet. Then this summer it totally took me out for 3 months, Ive never been so sick or incapacitated in my life. I ended up having an intestinal resection which has been wonderful. But I too was overwhelmed at first, feeling like for the first time I was realizing how serious my illness could be.

Congrats on quitting smoking, I hope the appointment with the surgeon goes well. Keep us posted!