• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

High MCV

I was just wondering if anyone could please help me. I started on 6mp a few months ago and since staring them my MCV has been high ranging from 107-117. I have had my b12 checked which seems to be fine. I also recently had my ferritin checked which was 18. The Drs don't seem to do anything. I saw my consultant end of July when he decided to arrange an iron infusion, until the most recent blood results, the nurse originally said she would think I would still have the infusion as I have crohns and can't absorb iron properly and my levels are still on the lower end, she then rang the next day to say actually the consultant doesn't think I need it as my levels are technically not out of range. I don't know what to do because for the last month or so I have felt more fatigued than ever with all the classic symptoms of anaemia, shortness of breath, heart racing, weak, dizzy etc. I have been off work too and now on phased return of only three hours which still exhausts me. I don't know what to do as I feel completely stuck with no voice, no one is hearing me and no one will help me. Please advise if you have had anything similar or know what I can do. Thank you x

I'm sorry that you are dealing with fatigue and other symptoms now.

What is your hemoglobin? Has your folate been checked?

Were you aware that 6MP is a known cause of elevated MCV?

I'm sure others will have more information for you soon.

Thank you for your reply. My hemoglobin was slightly low but apparently not concerning. My folate is fine, in good range. Yes I am aware but I didn't have any symptoms before or very little symptoms, but now they are very persistent and interfering with everyday life :( just very frustrating I dont know what to do

Thank you, I have spoken to another nurse again at the hospital and they are going to ask my consultant if I still need the infusion! Just beating around th bush it seems!