• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New to crohns but not to the symptoms!

new to crohns but not to the symptoms!

Hello! I am 23 and I was diagnosed with crohn's last monday, but have been living with the same symptoms since the very beginning of this year. In april I went to the ER and had my appendix removed, and they didnt look for anything else so I just went home. I still had the symptoms, so I went back in july and was told I was just constipated. (I dont know how they get that from a guy having diarrhea 8 times a day..) so I got some cheap health coverage and went to a GI. got a colonoscopy and turns out I have mild crohns (I guess that means its only in the colon????) so far I am taking two 10mg prednisone tablets in the morning and afternoon (I dont know if i take them at the right time but I think they are doing theyre job) The pills make me weak and sleepy but I have actually had normal B.M's this past week and It's better then running to the potty during the day and waking up at night finding out you went potty in the bed (very very embarrasing).. I am very scared!! Mostly about not having my immune system working and my soon to be step son always brings home colds and what not from school!! All last week and this week all I have been doing is reading peoples stories all over the internet and it is very scary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope everyone here is able to cope and maybe I will be able to get some good info from you all and also share what I learn too!!!! It will be nice to meet you all and learn more about this yucky condition!!!!

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
:welcome: Marky
Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. It's good that you are responding to the Prednisone (Normal bowel movements are a good sign.) When I have been on Prednisone, I always took the entire dose in the morning. Does your doctor want you to take it twice a day? In spite of having this illness and being around my own kids, I don't seem to get sick with colds very often. Try not to worry too much. I think the fatigue is the hardest part for me. I hope you start to feel more energetic soon.

Hiya Marky. Welcome to the forum. You've come to the right place. We seem to be a pretty good group of people. I agree with IMP above, don't worry too much. I think it will just make this worse and harder if you do. Good luck and I hope you continue to feel better.

Welcome Marky,

The worrying sucks eh? However it also makes things worse so best to try not to - though I am not doing so well at this myself!

The pred can make you have real trouble sleeping and i was recommended to take it all in the morning to help with that.

Hope it works for you
shaz

I am having a hard time sleeping from it I think.... I'll have to call and see if its ok to take it all at once.. do you think it will change how it effects me or does it matter?

thanks everyone for responding!!!!

fenway1971

Sports Crohnie
Hi Marky!
The term "mild" is nebulous. Usually refers to level of inflammation, not where it's located. Prednisone should help - when I was at 40mg, I took 20mg in morning and 20mg at night. As I tapered, I reduced the nighttime dosage first until I was taking them all in the AM.

Welcome to CF. Nice group of people here.