• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

26 mum of two learning to live with crohns!

Hey everyone... i have avoided joining the forum for a while as i felt it would make it all to real but i feel now is the time to gain support where possible.
I was diagnosed with crohns in july this year after a terrible flare back in january, i had been told for a few years that my occasional bouts of D and cramps were IBS untill this flare consumed me. i now have the diagnosis and am so relieved to finally have the right care i need. i had an awful time on steroids directly after diagnosis which gave me terrible anxiety and panic attacks i was signed off work for 3 months! as soon as i came off the steroids my symptoms returned (my GI brushed it off as IBS again! without even a test to confirm) i was put on mercaptopurine part way through sterois treatment and have now been taking it for 10 weeks and recently had to reduce to one every 3rd day and include gout medication allopurinol.... anyone else experiance this? due to toxic liver symptoms. Anyway i began this new regime two weeks ago and my symptoms are back... im concerned as i have new symptoms too but feel it is being brushed off as nothing by the nurse. i know all newly diagnosed pt's feel worried and unsure but i feel i know what is going on inside my body and could do wit some advice. did a stool test today for inflammation waiting on results.

this seems like a great group and i'm glad to be a part of it. Thank you
Emily :hug::ghug: xx

Hello. Welcome to the Forum. With a new Diagnosis you will have to try different medicines and doses to see what works for you.What is good for some it will not work for others. If you feel you are being brushed off as nothing by the nurse or Dr. I will suggest you look for a new one. I hope you feel better soon.

Lady Organic

Staff member
Hi and welcome. Im so sorry you had such a bad reaction to prednisone. I also get anxious on pred but not this high, its more like a mild manic episode for me.
Purinethol may take some more time to be effective. Unfortunately not all medications work for everyone and its trials and errors, but Im guessing your medical team will want to wait some more before they say its not working, as we dont have tons of drug options :frown:
where is your disease located exactly?
To tell you you have IBS right after a CD diagnosis and steroid withdrawal seems weird to me as it is well know symptoms can come back as soon as prednisone is finished. If you dont feel comfortable with your medical team, you can try to seek for a second opinion and doctor. I never had to change my GIs, but I once changed rhuemy due to bad care and personality incompatibility.