• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

HELP! Arthritis swelling & pain but no Crohn's flare

Hello! I hope you're all well.

I have had an ileo for over 2 years now and have since been Crohn's symptom free. However, 3 months ago, my knees started to swell up & cause quite a lot of pain. I have had arthritis issues before but only when the Crohn's was flaring. However, this time round I am not having a Crohn's flare.
I am already on weekly Humira & Aza and my bloods have come back clear so no issues with the bowel - just the knees. I don't want to go on Methotrexate and was wondering what kind if other treatments people have found work?

Also any non medical treatment options
- exercise vs rest?
- supplements etc?
- diet?

Hoping someone can help, it's causing a lot of anxiety,
Gabi x

Last edited:
You could try Black cumin seed oil but it does affect the immune system. It could interact with your medications. I don't know how you would know beforehand.

Dan

Maya142

Staff member
There are certain types of arthritis that are associated with IBD but flare independently. Spondyloarthritis is one of them. Both my girls have a type of SpA (Ankylosing Spondylitis) and the younger one also has Crohn's. In her case, the arthritis and the Crohn's do flare at separate times.

CCFA has a lot of good info about it: http://www.ccfa.org/assets/pdfs/arthritiscomplications.pdf

Spondylitis.org also has a lot of great information:http://www.spondylitis.org/Learn-About-Spondyloarthritis/Enteropathic-Arthritis

She is on an Anti-TNF and an immunomodulator called Arava. It's similar to MTX but she tolerates it better (Methotrexate worked very well for her but caused awful side effects). Some people also have success with Sulfasalazine for their joints, but generally Methotrexate works better.

My daughter is allowed to take an NSAID since her arthritis is MUCH worse than her Crohn's. Her GI is ok with her taking it since she really does need it. You'd have to check with your GI if you wanted to try an NSAID. It took a lot of trial and error to find one that worked for her and didn't upset her stomach.

She has also used Voltaren Gel in the past which is better for the gut since less is absorbed systemically.

I would also try to see a rheumatologist to discuss all your options. Since arthritis can cause damage, I wouldn't just wait and hope it goes away. My daughter has a lot of damage in her knees and hips because we weren't able to get the arthritis under control. She's 18 now and her rheumatologist thinks she will need a hip replacement in the next 10 years, if not sooner.

Low impact exercises like swimming or biking might help. We also use heat and ice a lot. You could try an over the counter knee brace - my daughter used to wear one and it helped her.

We have had no success with diet or supplements. My girls take fish oil but I'm really not sure it does anything.

Good luck!

This is so helpful, thank you so much!
I never realised that the arthritis could flare without the active Crohn's - how annoying!! I'm hoping to be referred to the rheumatologist who along with my gastro should be able to put some medication plan together. Bit worrying but hopefully it will be sorted soon. For the past 3 months I have been unable to work properly, drive, walk my dog or move in to the house I am paying rent on.

Swimming I can imagine would work great, I'm going to try supplements and diet - just in case! Going to try everything I can I think!

Maya142

Staff member
There's certainly no harm in trying a diet. We tried gluten free but it didn't help. There's a No Starch Diet that people use for AS and some people do the Paleo Diet.

Swimming is great - it always makes my daughters feel better. Sometimes even just sitting in a hot tub helps, if you're unable to swim.

Good luck -- I hope you're able to see a rheumatologist soon!