• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Advice please

Hi....I am aged 34 and diagnosed with Crohns approximately 5 years ago....I've had a horrible time with Crohns over the past few years.....I took a bad reaction to azathioprine a few years ago resulting in a prolonged hospital admission and 6-9 months off work...then I was admitted with excruciating abdominal pains several times, eventually resulting in surgery to repair 5 structures in my ileum and partial small bowel resection in 2013....the strictures unfortunately recurred in April 2015 despite high Dose oral and intravenous steroids....

I had a further stricturoplasty operation a few months back but then developed life threatening complications resulting in emergency surgery a month later in August 2015....after 2 months of severe post operative pain, a paralytic ileus,Total Parenteral Feeding and Ng feeding I am eventually home but recovery remains slow. I now have an ileostomy and a healing abdominal wound.

My GI consultant wants to start Humira which I am quite apprehensive about as I really dont take well to meds generally and previous severe reaction to azathioprine. Steroids have now caused me to develop extensive avascular necrosis of both my hips and have been told that I need surgery in future to replace both my hips...I've been soo ill with Crohns that that's had to take priority.....

Any views welcome....especially about starting Humira..

Thanks

Sorry for all you've been going through.
I don't take humira, I'm on remicade. But it sounds like your disease is progressive enough that you really don't have much choice but to give it a try.
I also had a bad reaction to Aza, but I've been tolerating remicade well for years.
Good luck to you and keep us posted.

Welcome to the forum. No experience with humira, but my daughter has been on remicade for the past 3 years. I hope you feel better soon. Let us know how it goes.

My son has been on humira since the first of this year. Prior to that he was on Remicade for 2.5- years.

Humira is one of the more painful shots. It's the med not the shot but my son injects every 14 days. He says the pain is only a minute.

He has had no issues with Humira. He started it after a small bowel resection as he had built up antibodies to remicade.