• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Feeling Frustrated - Personal independence payments nightmare

I need to vent today with people who understand my condition and the frustration of Personal Independence payments. I suffer from Crohn's Disease, and with this Autoimmune Arthritis, depression and anxiety.

I applied way back in June of this year, and after being seen by a case worker who visited the house, I scored zero on test with comments including 'You have a bank account, so can understand finance' and 'You have a large appetite, therefore I have decided you can make your own meals', 'Even if you walk slowly and with pain, you can walk 200 meters, 'Even though you claim you need prompting to take medication due to forgetfulness, I have decided you can take medication perfectly fine'. So, people with disabilities don't have bank accounts? What?!

It was like a slap in the face and a mockery after everything I have suffered (Multiple colonoscopy's, hospital stays, regular drip courses lasting 12 months at a time, blood tests and new medication, nearly dying when I was seventeen and being given a '3 days left' speech from the doctor, extreme leg pain and back swelling and pains, fatigue, not leaving the house for 6 months due to sickness and malnourishment).

It also suggests on the letter that I can get a Disabled Railcard, which would be massively helpful so I can easily get to my hospital appointments - but wait, you can only get it if you're receiving PIP.

Feeling really frustrated and lost for what to do. I can't work long hours due to the Arthritis that I have with my Crohn's giving me back and ankle swelling and fatigue. I am terrified to even get a job to begin with due to my anxiety and the tiredness and needing to be close to a toilet.

Has anyone else had this frustration with PIP? Can anyone recommend what to do?

This annoys me too! I applied for it but got told I didn't qualify yet a friend of mine gets it for bloody excema! What?!

fuzzy butterfly

Omg the system really does stink. I have said that you have to be practically dead before you get anything from them. Seems I am right!!!. It's a total crime the things they say you can and can't do. How the heck do they know what it's like to live with this disease. Arghhh. I am so sorry at how you have been treated. Hope you can appeal to and get the help you need. Best wishes n hugs 💖

fuzzy butterfly

This annoys me too! I applied for it but got told I didn't qualify yet a friend of mine gets it for bloody excema! What?!
Hi what the heck is wrong with this country. I give up trying to understand the way they think. It's beyond my logic they are damned :ybatty:. God help us coz they won't. :eek: