• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

I'm looking for advice and help!

Hey everyone, I am a 21 year-old female who has been suffering for about 6 months now. I will try to give you the quick story. I have been having severe abdominal pain, nausea, occasional vomiting, diarrhea almost daily, and rectal bleeding (both with and without passing stools). I am not able to eat much because of it all and have lost about 25 pounds or so because of it. Not to mention I have been also getting very dizzy and light-headed and feelings of low blood sugar, even after eating a decent meal or snack. I've seen three doctors and been to the ER three times, and have hundreds of blood draws and still nothing. I had my appendix removed back in May of 2015 and nothing has been the same since then. I have been tested for C. Diff, parasites, food allergies, infections, etc.

This is what I need help and advice on:

On Friday, I am having my first colonoscopy and endoscopy done. I am doing a mild sedation with it and I am rather nervous. I get really sick from anesthesia. I am looking for any tips anyone may have when it comes to the prep. I start the Gatorade prep tomorrow along with the Ducolax and the magnesium citrate. I am bleeding a lot today, and I am concerned on how tomorrow will go with me bleeding this bad. I am considering calling and asking if it is even safe that I continue with the process. I went to the ER two nights ago due to the amount of blood that I was passing. Anyways, any tips or advice for the rookie here? Or what I should be expecting for the colonoscopy and the endoscopy? Seriously, anything is appreciated! I suffer from OCD and anxiety as well so things tend to get a little dramatic in my brain.

Hello and welcome I,ve just recently had my endoscopy and colonoscopy and first off try not to stress about it.the endoscopy is an easy procedure and doesn,t hurt in fact it's just strange.the colonoscopy,without a doubt the prep is the worst part of it you must follow the directions on the paperwork exactly as you don,t want to repeat it.my last one was done without anaesthetic and I had no pain only slight discomfort and was able to watch the monitor and ask questions even when i,ve had sedation I was fairly alert.its not a good thing to have done but don,t overthink it.good luck and all the best

Lady Organic

Staff member
Hi. It can happen to some individual the colon is such in a bad shape that as soon as the doctor introduce the endoscope in the rectum, they see extreme severe disease activity. The doctor will know and see if he/she should continue or stop the procedure depending on the severity of disease. I have had many colonoscopies with lots of disease activity and a lot of bleeding, but that was not considered risky colonoscopy.
If you are lucky like I have been last time, maybe the prep will ease your symtoms until time for the exam.
Sedation use different ingredients than anesthesia so maybe the procedure wont cause any reaction. It is always possible the sedation is not fully working and that you have a lot of pain during the exam. It already happened to me twice now that I remember. The most pain can come in very specific moments just a few seconds when the endoscope turns into a loop in the colon and shall ease when moving on. Most likely it shall go well and you will do it very quickly like a breeze without feeling any pain at all.
Good luck and let us know of your results.