• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Picolax

I have a colonoscopy tomorrow, I've taken 2 packages of picolax and still nothing, it's been well over 6 hours and still haven''t used the loo. So I'm just wondering how long did it take Picolax to kick in for you? Thanks.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Hi ColossalBD, I had something similar happen with the US version of Picolax (it's called Prepopik but my understanding is that it's the exact same thing - not sure why it has different names in different countries!). I drank both cups at the appointed times and I went to the bathroom a few times, but I definitely wasn't cleaned out nearly well enough. So that evening I freaked out and took about 10 Dulcolax to get things moving more. I'm not sure if it was the Prepopik or the Dulcolax or a combination of both, but whatever it was, it finally kicked in fully right as I got to the GI clinic on the morning of my scope. I was running to the bathroom a bunch of times as I was getting hooked up to the IV and monitors - I kept having to unplug everything, grab my IV bag and run for the bathroom! Not a fun time. But in the end, that last minute laxative effect kicking in got me cleaned out enough for a successful colonoscopy.

I realize that isn't super helpful as I don't know for sure if it was the Prepopik or the Dulcolax or both! And it was very last-minute, whatever it was, when it did kick in. I wasn't instructed by my doctor to take extra laxatives, I did that on my own and I'm not sure how dangerous it was to take 10 Dulcolax at a time, so I don't necessarily recommend going that route. All I can recommend is, if you can get ahold of your doctor or clinic this evening, that might be your best bet. There is hopefully an after-hours on-call doctor who can advise you. Good luck!