• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Remicade and epithelial lining

Hi
My Dr mentioned the epithelial lining which forms in a fistula tract over time sometimes prevents it from healing.

If someone takes remicade, does the tract close completely and if so how? Or do you need to leave seton in always, even if tract collapses?

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
I had multiple fistulas and did not undergo any surgical procedures for them. I started Remicade after having the fistulas for at least a couple of years and the Remicade allowed them to heal with no issues.

I had multiple fistulas and did not undergo any surgical procedures for them.

Thank you Lisa.

Did your fistulas have setons in? How long did it take to heal? And did you have to stay on the remicade after they healed, if so, how long?

My Dr said I have complex fistulas, which act like crohns.
All Gi testing was negative

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
No, I had no outside treatment for the fistulas - the surgeon I saw just kept an eye on them. Once I started Remicade the fistulas healed up on their own within a month or two.

I've been on Remicade now for 10 years.....