• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My Story ... (how original lol)

Hi everyone, I was diagnosed with Crohn's in 2002 I think I had just turned 18 and was having mild pain in my right side for what seems months.

I went to my Pediatrician and they diagnosed me as being lactose intolerant.

A little time went by and the symptoms got worse, so I went back to the doctor, at this point I guess they felt something out of place when they examined my abdominal on the right side and sent me for a CT Scan... I HATE THE BARIUM.

The CT Scan revealed something but they weren't really sure they thought I had some kind of abscess and that lead the docs to trying to drain something out my side needless to say they got nothing out of it and sat there shanking me for about 30 minutes for no reason. : (

So I was admitted to the hospital the pedi floor ... so nice, I know now compared to the regular floors in the hosp.

Apparently my intestine was really inflamed and had basically destroyed my appendix, which wasn't discovered until I had the surgery to remove 8in of my intestine, I believe it was my small intestine but I was recently told it was mostly of my large intestine and a lil of my small... I'm honestly still confused, I just know they went in and took some.

So after that was all said in done, I healed up and followed up with my GI, he had started me on Asacol which worked for a little bit but then stopped. I can't recall how long it actually worked for, but then there was talk of using 6MP which at that time scared the heck out of my mother (unfortunately I lost her in 2004) so I went on the Internet and google'd around and found this stuff called Molocure (now Digestinol) that was made from aloe and was supposed to help, I started taking it sometime in I think 2002 or 2003 and I noticed improvement right away.

I continued on this path for about seven years feeling great and not taking any meds, not even seeing my GI, I look back now and that was probably a stupid decision on my part to not even visit once in awhile.

Then Easter day of 2009 I woke up feeling terrible (my miracle supplement Digestinol stopped working), I went to the ER they took some blood and said the blood counts looked fine gave me a script for Pentasa sent me home and I followed up with my GI.

He started me on Asacol which didn't keep my Crohn's completely under control but helped. I still occasionally had bloating and gas pains, etc. But just dealt with the 1 -3 days of pain and then I would go a week or two with no issues.

I had a CT Scan which showed thickening where the two pieces of intestine were rejoined together from the surgery and a colonoscopy confirmed the recurrence at the site of the resection ... yippy great :::sarcasim::

So I stick with the Asacol of course not working 100% so eventually I bit the bullet and tried the 6MP.

The 6MP made me feel very weak and I always had a head ache and made me fell all out worse then what I felt like, I tried it for 2wks and the side effects didn't improve so we stopped the 6MP and continued with the Asacol.

Now September of 2009 rolls around and I start having strange sensations in my penis ... go figure .. what is going on now?! So I go to the ER and they of course think I have some kind of STD but I test negative. Time passes and then I start getting pain in my testicle by this time I'm like something deff isn't right .. I knew there were problems with the strange sensation in my penis, but the Doc's wrote is off as I'm crazy and they were just confused, I even went to another walk in clinic for a second opinion, and they sent me to a Urologist, they gave me cipro to take and said I should be fine in a few weeks, three days later I was sitting at work and the pain spiked throughout my groin and into my lower abdominal area right below my waist... never felt anything like it and the pain made me sweat.

This was on a Saturday and the pain would come n go, I finished out the day at work and woke up Sunday with more, pain.

I went to the ER that morning and told them everything and they just figured it had to be something with the Crohn's so they gave me a CT Scan .. mmm Barium love it! They found an obstruction and admitted me to the hospital on 10/4 (few weeks ago). This is where I figured out how much I appreciated the Pedi floor, the nurses were so much nicer, you appreciate a friendly person so much when you feel like crap and you’re in some of the worse pain you've ever had.

At first they tried to bring everything under control with no food and steroids and antibiotics but it wasn't working, they also put a stupid NG tube in my nose and down my throat to suck the stuff out of my stomach, which they left in for days. From what I'm told they only do this when people throw up which I wasn't .. I guess they just wanted to be cautious, I don't know if it helped me or not but it was the most uncomfortable thing ever.

So the meds didn't work and I went in for surgery on 10/9 the surgeon basically told me everything was a mess and that my intestine was leaking which was I guess affecting the nerves in my groin area and that was causing all the pain.

He had to remove 14 inches of my small intestine.

I was discharged on 10/18 and I've been sitting home recovering, my belly is still sore from the surgery and my back is sore from not I guess walking straight up or walking minimal, or something.

My bowl movements still haven't formed up which is a little worrying to me, I still don't feel 100 percent and I hope I get better soon and don't continue to feel crummy like I do. I also wish my appetite would improve as it's not that great.

I have a follow up scheduled with my Surgeon for Friday, I hope he finds that I am on the right track to improved health and I also have a follow up with my GI the first week in November.

In the hospital he discussed starting me on Remicade which kinda scares me but I really want to get better and stay better for as long as I can, having surgery sucks so bad and I'm not a fan.

Has anyone on here taken Remicade? Did it work? Did it not work? What problems have you had, etc. I guess I'm looking for success stories and the horror stories. I really want to get better but I also don't want to make myself feel worse or mess myself up in some other way because of this ridiculous disease.

*** I found the Remicade Club Thread, I'll read it ***

Thanks to everyone who read this whole thing... It's quite long.

Jordan : )

Welcome to the forum! I hope that your recovery goes well. I myself have never taken Remicade, but I hope that you find that support you need from this forum. You have gone through a lot as many people on the forum have.

Good luck! Keep us posted.

Thanks for the replies... I read the whole Remicade Club thread ... a lot of positive posts that made me feel good. Then a few negative posts tossed in that scared the hell outta me. lol

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
Welcome Jpetrone,

Well, you've had a wild ride....I totally get what your saying about the nurses being much nicer on the pediatric floor. I worked in pediatrics for a few years. Many nurses prefer peds because the kids are all victims of their illnesses. On adult floors, most people are ill because of lifestyle choices. It's hard not to get jaded when your a nurse....

Anyway, I am also on Remicade. We are hoping it will give me another 10 years before I need surgery again. I'm not worried so much about the side effects. When I was really ill last summer, I was begging for mercy. At the time I was having so much pain, I really did not want to go on. I want a decent quality of life. I'd much rather feel good then be tortured in pain.

You really need to decide for yourself what you want. Research all the options and make an well informed choice. I hope you start to have some relief in your symptoms. Good luck to you, and let us know how you do.:)

farm

Captain Insaneo
Welcome again Jordan!
I was 18 when I got dx so I know how hard it is. Last year I went to the ER and almost the exact same thing happened to me as you stated. My intestine 'collapsed' and caused my appendix to rupture. I had surgery and had most of my large intestine removed; months later I was still confused about what actually had happened and during an abdominal x-ray I found they left many sugerical staples in me, on purpose! I just assumed they had stiched it up with some kind of disolvable stich, boy was I wrong.
Remicade seems to be working for me, I've had 4 infusions thus far.
Good luck!

I had a blockage last year. They said it was from stopping the Remicade which I chose to do out of the fear of side effects from it. Two weeks before the blockage they put me on the pediatric floor for my flare up even though I was 28 because there were no more beds in the hospital. :lol: I spent my birthday in there for my 28th and I do not think I would have gotten a birthday dance like that on the adult floor!!! They even came with a pudding birthday cake because I was on soft foods....Thank goodness my birthday was not two days before because I would of had candles next to a cup of broth!
But when I had the blockage I know the feeling of pain pain pain....My brother said it was like a scene from a horror movie. I was crying and having an anxiety attack while screaming in pain ..almost ready to pass out...they then started to put the NG tube in ( then the anxiety,and passing out feeling increased) My mother was standing behind the doctors putting it in crying on my brothers shoulders. The lady in the bed next to me started a gospel singing rocking back and forth prayer. The room felt like it was spinning. When I couldnt stay still for the NG tube, at first the doctors yelled at me its this or surgery, shortly after they got it in. It was in for days and days and I could agree with you that it is uncomfortable......I was lucky that the NG tube did work but that was a 2 week hospital stay that I wish and hope will never happen again. I still have fear when I do have pain in that area though........I first tried Humira when I went back on stronger meds. Did not like that at all because it did not help me in any way and burned each time I took it. I went back on Remicade and I have to say it does help to keep me out of the hospital. I have had inflamation while on it and bad days and still having difficulty but not like before. Just last friday my dosage got increased so I am waiting to see how that goes. But do not have fear to take Remicade it can only possibly and hopefully help!

Last edited:
Hey Everyone ... :bigwave:

Peaches - I'd have to say that I think it was the Lupus reaction scenario and the Asthma attack scenario that freaked me out. The sensitive teeth and the itchies not soo much... although prob annoying I rather have the itchies then an Asthma attack or god forbid having to have surgery because of fluid around my heart, lungs , etc. (this must be one of the rarest side effects though)

Farm - Yea it's no fun, for some reason it seems like this time around was worse then the first time for me, but maybe it's just because this second time is still fresh in my head lol.

As for them leaving staples in you ?!

The only staples I know of that I have in me are the titanium ones they used to put the two pieces back together. I don't even know if I have two sets of staples, the Doc might have cut the other ones away because it was diseased, I'll have to ask out of curiosity when I see him this week.

I'm thankful that the first time around they gave me dissolving stitches and this second time I requested it, because he was going to staple me shut... and I in NO WAY wanted to have those suckers taken out at a later date. He kind of cringed when I asked because it was more work .. but he did it.

I only had 3 requests .. for him to leave my belly button and not cut through it and sew it shut, no staples, and the morphine pump and push button bed side after surgery.

Seems like I got all 3 ... I finally saw my belly button tonight when that little piece of steri strip fell off and it seems to be there. :lol:

Jenn Jenn - I'm so jealous I would've gave up a pair of my awesome hospital grippy socks to get a bed on the pedi floor this last time! I guess I should be thankful they put me in a private room.

I have to agree the pain is no fun, I've always had mild pain or pain I was able to bare but this last round ... I'm not a person who likes to be drugged but I was begging for the morphine this last time around.

The NG tube went it relatively easy for me, I think it's prob because I wasn't throwing up, and I was able to relax a little and just drink the water while they slid it in. I think I cooperated because I was in bad shape and I find when I don't feel well I do w/e if it's supposed to make me feel better. Unfortunately it sometimes takes me to get crazy bad off before I give in... which is prob not good.

Glad to hear the Remicade is helping you! I hope the new dose will help you improve even more.

Thanks Everyone !

CentaurCEO said:
I think the NG tube was invented by the Devil himself. :devil:

yup yup yup yup

removed mine myself when they told me they were coming back in 5minutes to remove it. 5 minutes was to long lol

also removed the drain from my stomach:)

and catheter!

welcome!

OMG JEd you removed it yourself.:eek2: ....Brave one....I think I would have hurt myself more.....As far as the morphine goes I think Dilaudid works better. Even though it makes me say crazy things when I am on it, there is no pain at all. The last time I was on dilaudid I told my family I was going to join the army when I saw a commercial on TV! :lol: (If you knew me you would lol) they definetly were laughing at that comment!