• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Possible Crohn's

Hi everyone. I'm a 25-year-old female.

On the day after Christmas, I started to get a weird stomach ache like I had not felt before. It wasn't nausea, but more like sharp pains, and I wasn't yet on my period. I slowly started realizing that it was usually (though not always) triggered by food. Then, this past weekend, I woke up with a fever that steadily rose, and when I tried to get out of bed, there was a pull in my stomach so sharp it made me cry. I decided to go to the emergency room.

I spent four days in the hospital on antibiotics, took two CAT scans, had a colonoscopy, and a biopsy. Doctors still can't give me a proper diagnosis. Right now they have me on steroids (Prednisone) and after the consultation I had today, they want me to only take one pill instead of two for five days and then see how my stomach reacts with no medication at all.

I guess I'm just confused because I'm reading up on Crohn's and I don't have so many of the symptoms I'm seeing... no diarrhea, no blood in the stool, no tiredness or aches, no fever (except that one day I went to the emergency room), and my appetite is still going very strong. Ever since those four days in the hospital, I've been able to eat everything with no pain (though I have been staying away from the 'trigger' things to be safe.. like no nuts, no seeds, no high fiber foods).

If I DO have Crohn's (a mild case, I'm sure, if I do) then would this be a remission? I'm also wary of my doctor because he immediately tried to put me on Humira when I saw him today, before even asking me ANYTHING about how I've been since the hospital visit (pains, stool, reaction to medication, food log). And I don't understand shoving Humira on me when they can't for sure say it's Crohn's. Makes me think it's just a tactic to get money.

Did any of you start out this way?

Honey

Staff member
Hi there and welcome, I was diagnosed with Diverticulitis years ago and on meds for that. Other stuff happened to me like having a stone in the kidney, before severe pain 3 years ago led to Crohns diagnosis. I could not eat . I hope it turns out not to be Crohns as that is not an easy one. I was on Remicade infusions only when all else failed! I am currently off treatment and doing well. I hope you feel better soon. Best wishes.
:rosette1::welcome:

They did blood work and a urine test, but I don't know how that helped much if they can't make a diagnosis yet with that plus CAT scans/colonoscopy/biopsy.

David

Co-Founder
Welcome to the community. Have the doctors mentioned Crohn's as a possibility? Based upon everything you describe thus far, I'd suspect it's something else.