01-25-2016, 02:24 PM   #1
Themarshmi

Conceiving and sulfasalazine

I am currently on 3,000 mg of sulfasalazine for my UC. I go back to my primary doctor in March to hopefully have my dosage changed to the maintenance dose of 2,000 mg. I have not had a flare since April of last year (2015) when I was diagnosed after spending a week in the hospital. My husband and I are wanting to start having children. Have any of you been pregnant while on sulfasalazine and breastfed? I haven't spoken to my primary or OB/GYN about this yet just wanted some information before hand. Also what prenatal vitamins would you recommend? Thanks for any help!
01-25-2016, 04:02 PM   #2
JaimeM

My Support Groups:
I haven't been on Sulfasalazine but was on Remicade through most of my pregnancy. Little guy is 15 months now and doing great. I did have to get my Crohns into remission before I could get pregnant. We tried for a long time but I think I was always a little flared. I did the One a day prenatal vitamins or the ones my dr prescribed. I did go off the Remicade the last trimester and then breastfed for 4 months. I switched medications to Cimzia. I really don't recommend switching meds. I've had problem after problem since. I think with the hormone changes and stuff i should have just stayed with what was familiar. But good luck to you
01-25-2016, 08:35 PM   #3
teeny5

My Support Groups:
When we were trying to conceive my GI changed my meds from Sulfasalazine to Colazal. He said the sulfa part was not good in last trimester or breastfeeding I thought. I would mention it to both doctors.

Previous meds: Sulfasalazine, Asacol, Rowasa, Pentasa, Entocort.

"Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience. -Ralph Waldo Emerson"