• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hi, I'm new here!

Hello,

Last summer, I got a terrible pain in my stomach that wouldn't go with the hours and days. I ended up in the emergencies and they gave me antacids, which relieved the pain quite dramatically. The next days and weeks, I was very weak, like in a burn-out mode, although I sort of recovered after loosing 10% of my weight. I took the antacids for 10 days and stopped.

I managed to get better by changing my diet, but realized that I needed to take care of my health from now on. In fact, I had been having digestion problems (diarrhea) since many years but ignored it until this event. So I went through many examinations by a gastro clinic, and my doctor suggested I probably have Crohn's. I stopped going there, because her idea was to prescribe me lots of medicines, like anti-inflammatory and above all, a pill to take lifelong to reduce my immune system, because she thinks it's what is giving me problems (a too good immune system). At that stage, I decided to take it to my own hands, as I can't picture myself doing that! I'm trying my best through meditation, diet etc. etc. but no real result so far. It's a bit desperate, although I keep the faith. I just discovered this forum and looking forward to reading and learning more about this boring problem.

Will keep you posted if I find any "miracle" cure ;)

scottsma

Hello and welcome.This is just my opinion,but medication is usually the first and best procedure to get symptoms under control at first.When symptoms ease we can then discuss with our GI whether or not to go cold turkey.There are many on the forum who have been in remission,without meds,for a very long time, by adjusting .diet and lifestyle,but I think all have been grateful for the initial prescribed meds and support from GIs.Best wishes .

Welcome Pierre! I echo what scottsma said. There is increasing evidence that the best way to go is to hit the disease and inflammation heavy from the outset to prevent damage and progression of the disease.

Please do not underestimate how serious things can get and make sure you seek medical attention if things get really bad.

I do think there is a role for diet, lifestyle and meditation in managing the disease, but drugs are almost always needed as well.

Welcome to this forum. Did you get the results back from the tests you took? If you aren't taking some medicine, you might find you are causing more damage to your insides. Anxious to know how you do. Best to you.