• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Constipated Diarrhea??

I'm not even sure if this makes sense! I've got terrible D and need to go often 6 - 10 times a day but its suddenly gone really hard and i'm finding it hard to get it out - it will come out in tiny hard pieces. I'm also having a lot of gas.

Do you think the colonoscopy I had on Friday has irritated my intestines?

Consultant said everything looked "normal" and I am awaiting biopsy results.

I just feel rubbish :(

Hi Gemma, they pump up your intestines with air for the colonoscopy so increase gas afterwards is normal. After mine in December I had some pain from where they tattooed my colon(to mark strictures to make it easier to do surgery on them) and some bleeding. I have never experienced hard stool after a colonoscopy. I would ring up your doctor and let him know; I'm just thinking since you are going on 5 days post colonoscopy that things would have settled done by now.

Hi Gemma,
There are actually a few threads about this topic. I would suggest trying a search.

I had it often at one point. I started taking Tramadol when i had what felt like inflamation pain in the gut. That inadvertently stopped the constipated diarrhea. I believe that constipated diarrhea is just that you are feeling all the inflamation and your body reads it as needing to move the bowel. So you push but nothing is really there so you are just enflaming it more and it is a vicious cycle.

Also i found that MMJ would stop the urgency and anal pain until the tramadol kicks in.

I like tramadol because it is the only pain reliever drug that truly got rid of my continuously uncomfortable gut without giving me medicine head like a percocet would (which didnt work for me anyway).

Years ago there was a school of thought that a Colonoscopy could indeed irritate the bowel & set you back. Could be even the stress of having it done can cause some sort of flare.
Rgds
Grant

Gemma-Do you take probiotics? I often wonder how the preps affect our gut microbes. Sending this huge influx of water in to clean it out. Maybe try taking some probiotics to restore what was flushed away.