• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Post-Op Fistula Pain and Loss of Consortium

Hi All -
So thankful I found this forum. As you know, these issues are embarrassing and hard to discuss with others who have no clue what we are dealing with.

Family history - several immediate family members have been diagnosed with IBS, one with Crohn's.

In late 2014 I developed an external hemorrhoid. Not knowing for sure what it was, I let it go. It continued to grow and became so painful I had to go to a doctor. Diagnosed as thrombosed external hemorrhoid. I&D performed, surgeon said I would need surgery to correct a fistula.

Wanted a second opinion, got a family referral to a very good CRS group with 3 doctors. Over the next 8 months, I had 4 abscesses form. Each time, they were I&D. Finally, not being able to stand it any longer, I asked for other treatment options and an advancement flap surgery was scheduled for April 2015.

For those of you who have gone thru this - it was absolutely horrible for me. Horrible. I was not prepared for what recovery would be like and the amount of pain I would suffer through.

Several weeks later, went back for follow-up. Doctor said everything looked great, healed well, and he was encouraged by the results.

Ever since recovering, I have never felt the same. I still had residual pain that would come and go, and a pressure sensation that was very uncomfortable. Subsequent trips to CRS and he said everything looked fine, etc. etc.

Fast forward to today. I still feel pain, particular after BMs. I also still have pressure sentations and pain when sitting long periods. There is some scar tissue remaining but I have not had an abscess return.

The worst issue is that ever since the surgery, whenever I get an erection, I feel pain similar to pain you would feel with an abscess, with the addition of pressure inside. This has completely ruined my romantic life with my wife and I find I do whatever I can to avoid getting aroused because of the negative sensations that I am experiencing.

Has any other male experienced this? I'm reluctant to talk to doctors becaause of the nature of the issue, and honestly, I am terrified about the prospect of having to have another internal exam. The surgery and recovery has also made me terrified of potentially having to have another surgery to correct what Im experiencing.

Any thoughts, opinions, suggestions, or your experiences would be greatly appreciated!

So did they do a MRI to confirm if the fistula track, internal opening, and abscess have vanished? Do you have discharge through anus? Do you have any external opening?

So did they do a MRI to confirm if the fistula track, internal opening, and abscess have vanished? Do you have discharge through anus? Do you have any external opening?
Hi. I did not have an MRI after the surgery. The abscess is gone and there is slightly scar tissue and the external opening has closed. No discharge.