• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Question?

I was diagnosed with Crohn's in 2015 and still trying to get a handle on this. Tuesday I started having bad pains that came and went and went to the doctor. Test results showed my CRP levels were 427,which all I was told was abnormal, and I am still having pain. Although the pain is happing less often,2 days later, it is still happening. So my Q is How long is it normal to have an episode like this? I really appreciate any help. Thank you very much in advance

My first question is are you on any sort of meds to treat your Crohns? How long have you been on the meds if you have started? Is it mild, moderate, severe? I can only speak from experience but if your levels are that high you need to be on something to control the inflammation or it will get worse. It will not get better on it's own. Usually I get prescibed a round of Prednisone to control the inflammation when I have a flare up but I am just on Humira usually. The pain will not go away and symptoms will escalate without treatment. The pain can get so unbearable and my episodes have lasted years unfortunately with a few breaks here and there. Hopefully you get relief soon but I would definitely be speaking to my Dr about treatment.

I am taking Entocort 3mg(3 a day) and Pentasa 500mg(6 a day) since they have diagnosed me in late March of 2015. This is very confusing and frustrating to understand. They did say they may talk to me about Humira when I go in for a follow up visit. Thank you

If the pains continue I would call and let the GI know.

For my son, we call and leave a message for his GI nurse and she relays the info to the GI. We update after appts if the pain persists and is unbearable, if there is a change in symptoms or if the change in med isn't bringing a response.

Hope you feel better soon.

Humira is a biologic. It is an injection you give yourself. It is started with loading doses so 4 injection, after loading doses you give yourself an injection every 14 days. Some eventually have to move to weekly to get the most effective schedule.

There are other biologics like remicade that are given by infusion, it's every 8 weeks or shorter schedules if 8 weeks isn't effective enough for the patient.

A lower tier of meds are the immunosuppressants like 6mp, imuran or methotrexate. Methotrexate is given weekly and can either be pills or self injection depending on what the GI feels you need.

It's very individual as to what works best for each patient.

Yeah I had to move to weekly with my injections. I would prefer the Remicade infusion every 6-8 weeks but I am allergic. Obviously that combo/treatment is not working for you. It often takes a few tries to find something that will work for you. When do you see your Dr next? I would try and move it sooner if you can.

I have to make an appointment today. I definitely will ask. I really appreciate the help. I just have been doing what they say because I have no idea on what to ask or tell them. Thank you very much

I was on Entocort and Lialda(similar to Pentasa) early in my diagnosis. They were not effective in controlling the disease and I am going to have a partial colon resection next month. I also have osteoporosis from all the steroids. Looking back now almost 10 years later, I should have followed my disease better and altered treatments accordingly. My advice is work closely with your doctor to prevent, as much as you can, any damage to your GI tract.

I have to make an appointment today. I definitely will ask. I really appreciate the help. I just have been doing what they say because I have no idea on what to ask or tell them. Thank you very much
May sound time consumming but take good notes of all your symptoms including bm's how often and what they look like. Appetite, fevers if any. Your pain level on a scale everyday. Weight loss. Everything!!

Educate yourself on a few treatments available. Humira, Remicade, Imuran, Entocort, Pentasa.....and ask about them. I find that sometimes if I go in with more knowledge they are willing to talk to me about more options.

Have you had a recent colonoscopy? ( sorry can't recall if you said so in your original post) Perhaps you could push and request one? Depending on location of inflammation/ disease certain treatments work best.

I am going to look into a lot of stuff before my appointment. I had a colonoscopy a little under a year ago. They haven't talk to me about doing another.

I was on Entocort and Lialda(similar to Pentasa) early in my diagnosis. They were not effective in controlling the disease and I am going to have a partial colon resection next month. I also have osteoporosis from all the steroids. Looking back now almost 10 years later, I should have followed my disease better and altered treatments accordingly. My advice is work closely with your doctor to prevent, as much as you can, any damage to your GI tract.
Bless your heart :(. I will be praying for you. I hope the surgery will help you and that you have a quick recovery. Thank you for sharing :)