Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Humira/Adalimumab » Humira & Antibiotics

02-13-2016, 08:57 AM   #1
Senior Member
chuckmya's Avatar
Humira & Antibiotics

I'm currently taking Augmentin for a sinus & ear infection. How long do I need to wait to take my next Humira dose? I was under the understanding that I should wait to finish the antibiotic & clear the infection before resuming the Humira? What have your docs & pharmacists advised you to do? Thanks for your help!
02-15-2016, 01:44 AM   #2
theOcean's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada

My Support Groups:
I was always under this impression, too. But I've been on Humira while on three different antibiotics at once, even recently. I've never been told to go off, or wait. Only if I was getting surgery.

So you should be fine to still get your injection!

Hope the sinus stuff clears up soon. That's never fun.
Diagnosis: Fistulizing Crohn's, 2011 (originally Dx as Ulcerative Pancolitis)
Past Medication: Pentasa, Remicade, Prednisone, Imuran
Current Medication: Humira (biweekly), 100mg 6mp
Unrelated Medication: 36mg Concerta, 75mg Pregabalin
Currently: In remission!
02-16-2016, 08:04 PM   #3
Senior Member
chuckmya's Avatar
A pharmacist @ the local pharmacy I go to told me that I shouldn't do Humira while on antibiotics! When I called my GI's office I was told if I wasn't running a fever and over the sinus infection that I could take my next dose!! Thanks for your input! I really appreciate it!!
02-16-2016, 10:45 PM   #4
my little penguin
Forum Monitor
Join Date: Apr 2012

My Support Groups:
Same here Ds was permitted to take humira once fever was gone and he was on abx for over 24 hours
Only had to stop humira when he developed mastoiditis despite being on two abx for an ear infection
After that incident the Gi/Rheumo are a little more cautious with infections for Ds and humira
DS - -Crohn's -Stelara -mtx
02-18-2016, 04:29 PM   #5
Roxymusic's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bloomington, Indiana

My Support Groups:
I had a really deep chest cough in August 2015 I could not shake after a day, called the dr and he suspended the next dose of Humira. After two antibiotics and a week and a half, cough went away and I was able to take the next dose of Humira on time with dr. approval. Cough never developed into anything else - lucky me.
DX Crohn's 1971
Crohn's Surgeries 1971, 1974, 1984x2, 1993, 2007,2016
11 Kidney Stones from 1996 due to resections
All the standard drugs/advice from the 70's 80's 90s
Now: Lyrica & Cymbalta (Neuropathy)
Fish Oil, B12 injection monthly
Dec 21 2011 started Remicade
February 2012 off of Pentase!
Nov 2014 Back on Imuran
Jan 2015 off Remicade
Mar 2015 on Humira
June 2016 on cimzia
Dx short Bowel July 2017

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Humira/Adalimumab » Humira & Antibiotics
Thread Tools

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:45 PM.
Copyright 2006-2017